Help with Film & Slide Scanner

jbylake

Dodging the Men in Black
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi, hoping I posted this in correct forum. I'm getting back into photography again, and don't plan on converting to digital (cameras)anytime soon. (except for my point and shoot).

My question is this: I'm looking at numbers of Scanners for film and slides, to convert my negatives to digital. I'll be shooting 35mm almost excdlusivly, and most in B&W.

I've noticed that resolution on some are 5mp. How high of a scanning resolution should a scanner have, to truly create great reproductions of my negatives and slides.

Thank you, and if you could recommend one or two, you'd be helping me out, greatly.

Thanks again,

J.

Every film scanner I've seen is at least 2400dpi which 7mp.

It's highly debatable, since film is analog, but fine-grain 35mm film contains AT LEAST 12mp of detail--some would argue more.

I'd look for a scanner that offers 3200dpi or more, otherwise you may not get the most out of your film.

I've used the plustek optic-film 7200 and the epson 700. I'd recommend either one for different reasons.

The epson 700 is a flatbed scanner so it supports all film formats and can automatically scan 24 frames of 35mm film without babysitting, the only negatives being keeping it clean and keeping the film flat and in focus.

The opticfilm is a dedicated 35mm film/slide scanner that does an amazing job; however, it's very tedious and slow to push each frame through by hand--not recommended if you are going to scan a lot of film.

Thanks, the opticfilm 7500SI was one that I've been looking at. Thanks again for the input.

J.

Most reactions

Back