Help with HDR shooting!

Blackbelt94

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello im really interested in hdr shooting but the one thing is that i dont know if i have to shoot raw images then use photoshop? so do i shoot raw at different exposures and then use photoshop? please help!:hail::hail::confused:

You dont have to shoot raw. You can jsut shoot jpeg, raw is obviously better but you dont have to use it. You should be shooting at least 3 different exposures -2, 0, +2 . I prefer to use photomatix for hdr i havent been happy with any that i have tried in photoshop. Download the trial version of photomatix and give it a shot. You can also do a single file raw hdr in photomatix not true hdr but it works. Good luck

so i can still make these hdr images using jpeg?

My camera doesnt have the raw setting :( (canon s5 is).

Yeah, you can do it in JPEG. It's not ideal but you can. Shoot more exposures and smaller exposure increments. instead of 3 shoot 5. or instead of 5 when needed, shoot 7 or 9. It'll work just fine. Use the best quality JPEG your camera can produce or if you have it available use TIFF.

Two basic ways to do it:
1: Use bracketing (if your camera has it) to get the exposures.
2: Use a very slow shutter speed, take a pic. Raise it a step or two, take a pic. Repeat until you get to a high shutter speed.

These pics you will use to make the hdr is a program of your choice.

There are many sites that explain in full detail how to do HDR. Just google it ;)

It is self-evident, of course, that the camera must not move AT ALL (not even the least bit) between one exposure and the next or else you get an end result that'll make you go "Hang on? What's wrong with my eyes? Is a stroke imminent?", like I did with my first attempts (and a FLIMSY tripod!) (see_here :lol: ).

so i got the tripod and the camera and i got photomatix but no i dont know how to convert the images to jpeg and i dont got photoshop any help!?

Didn't you say you are using a kind of camera that not even takes RAW pictures, ONLY jpeg??? I think you did. In that case, have Photomatix do its magic for you and fine tune the creation of an HDR image by doing the necessary tone mapping.

In case you CAN take RAW photos, after all, but don't know how to convert them, what I did was download the Pixmantec RAWShooter from the Internet (had been suggested to me by a member on TPF, too! :D), for free even, and that's how I am now converting my images.

In order to create HDR files, Photomatix will ask you for 16-bit files. I convert those images that I want to merge into an HDR image as TIFF files without exif-data (read that bit somewhere else, but I don't remember where I did).

Most reactions

New Topics

Back