Help with homemade softbox tent

You could use White rip-stop Nylon...as for where to get it? I don't know. I work for an industrial fabric company...and we don't have any. Although our camping store division probably uses it for repairing tents...so you could check you local camping store.

It would certainly work but I'm not so sure rip stop (or the price it carries) is necessary unless one is particularly hard on gear.

Where rip resistance isn't strictly required, camping tents are often made of nylon (or polyester) taffeta. I don't see why they wouldn't also serve well in light tents. Your local fabric store should have a fair selection of these or similar fabrics.

Edited to add this source I found with a quick net search:

Outdoor Wilderness Fabrics

There are many others, too.

Any white translucent fabric will work fine. You could also use frosted glass or white plexiglass for a more permanent unit. The most common thing to use is a plain old white sheet. Take care.

If you don't want to spend the money for frosted glass or white plexi, you could also trim material from an old Tupperware container. If necessary, you could probably even find them at the dollar store brand new.

Sounds like pretty economical advice.
I’ve recently heard that nylon velour is the absolute best.
Only problem is, I can’t find the stuff sold anywhere.
-Alex

PVC pipe and fittings will form the framework at minimal cost. The structure can easily be disassembled for storage.

cleveland said:
Sounds like pretty economical advice.
I’ve recently heard that nylon velour is the absolute best.
Only problem is, I can’t find the stuff sold anywhere.
-Alex

Nylon velour is another animal entirely, that resembles velvet but is less costly and more durable than genuine velvet. It's very opaque. Not what you want for a light tent...but great for backdrops.

Most reactions

Back