help with lens for a CCD camera

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by giladj, Jan 28, 2010.

1. giladj

giladj TPF Noob!

Oct 9, 2009

I've just bought a Point Grey CCD camera (Grasshopper GRAS 03K2M) for scientific use. I want to buy an appropriate lens and have no idea how to go about it.
    My basic requirements are:
    1. For 1/3'' detector.
    2. C-mount lens (or adaptable to).
    3. Adjustable aperture going down to ca. 1.4.
    4. Manual focus.

2. Josh66

Josh66 Been spending a lot of time on here!

Oct 31, 2007
    Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Sounds like you can also use CS mount lenses with an adapter...

B&H has 21 pages of items, but I'm not familiar with any of those so I can't really make suggestions...
  3. Garbz

Garbz No longer a newbie, moving up!

Oct 26, 2003
    Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    C-mount lenses are typical of CCTV systems. I think you may be asking in the wrong place for help.

But here's a few things to consider. "scientific use" is not a definition. There are still a lot of very varied lenses with various focal lengths and various aperture widths, and various qualities depending on your application.

Field of view can be helped on this site: Optical Characteristics of Video Lenses
    But then you still need to consider other facets like minimum focal distance.

As an aside one of the PhD students in the lab bought a 50mm f/1.4 c-mount lens, mounted it to a thorlabs optical cage, and mounted a webcam to the other side. Due to the distance from sensor to lens it became practically a microscope, and served all sorts of useful purposes.