Help with light from book

O'Rork

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
How would I go about shooting a model reading a book with a Harry Potter affect of light emitting from the open book on the readers face? I suppose I'll have to cord my SB-800 to my D300, as the flash will be hidden from view.

Any pointers on settings and positioning?

I would think if you had the flash aiming at the book so it would act as a reflector. If would depend on the positioning of the model and the camera angle. Anything from between the model and book if she's sitting up reading and you're looking right at her, or maybe coming over her shoulder or some other angle, with the flash zoomed way in an tightly snooted. It's hard to say, but I think the answer is using the book as a reflector. If the pages of the book won't be showing, you could even have some gold reflecting material taped to the open pages.

If the model is reading in bed you could put the flash in a diffuser just underneath the book with the bed sheet hiding it. Remmotely triggering the flash would be a big help but you could hide a cord ander the sheet too.

If you want a beam of light from the book though you mioght need smoke - or dust! A dusty library might do it, and strong flat light - like a bike lamp maybe...

(I'm thinking on my feet here - I've no experience of trying to do this).

thanks for the replies. I suppose a new cord and bouncing off the pages is the order of the day. I'll experiment with it and get back.

Wait.... Why would you use a cord when you have CLS?

Open the menu on your D300, go to the pencil then down to bracketing/flash. Then go down to Flash control for built in flash, put it in commander mode. Leave it at ttl, set group A for whatever you need.

Set your flash to slave mode, not sure how to do it on the SB-800 though. Position the flash where you want it, pop the onboard flash and fire away.

Kegger, thanks for posting. I'm familiar w/cls, but in this case I have my doubts the SB-800 would receive the light pulses and fire. I'll have to experiment and see. If indeed it does fire I won't be buying a cord.

I've used CLS with slaves in other rooms and rarely have a misfire. Set your slave to manual and you don't have to worry about preflashes. The onboard will flash once and trigger the slave.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back