Help with macro on ixus 800 please....

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by Gerbutt, Jan 22, 2007.

1. Gerbutt

Gerbutt TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Hello there

I carve wooden rings and other jewellery and I've been needing a camera to take pics of them for the internet. I did a lot of reading and eneded up with the ixus 800. It's my first ever camera and as far as I can tell it's ace, but, when I'm taking macro shots of rings with the lens about 3 or 4 cm's away, the pics have always got a shadow from something from the centre of the pic down to the bottom right. I can't work out what it is? The only thing I can think of is the sticking out lens thing is casting a shadow from the flash? Is that right? Any help on how to get a clear pic would be brill thanks?? Thanks Gerbutt

2. outdoorlover

outdoorlover TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Sounds like you have found your problem.
    Anytime you get that close and are using a top mounted flash you will not get good coverage.
    Short of spending several hundred dollars on a ring flash, something you may want to look into if you do a lot of close work.
    You could try and use supplement light from another source.
    I have used a flashight before.

3. EYEAM4ANARCHY

EYEAM4ANARCHY TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Yeah, it's a shadow from the lens itself.

I've used a LCD handheld light (a small booklight) as well as a remote slave flash. Both have strengths and weaknesses, so you have to judge the situation vs. the need.

As stated previously, a ring flash is also a good option, but you have to be wary of washout.