help with my first show

tigereon

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So i have FINALLY been offered to hang some of my work in a gallery, while i am VERY excited i have a problem. To hang in this gallery my work has to be LARGE like 16x20 or so.....print size. The issue is i have NEVER printed anything of this size.

I was told that one issue is converting to 5:4 ration, not a big deal i shoot everything in RAW...but I am confused about where i should go to get things printed of this size and what i need to know...is there certain paper i should use? is there a type of finish that is more common and looks better? what else do i need to know and are there good places to go to get this done.

This is my first show and i dont want to spend a bunch of money getting 16x20 printed only to realize they look like crap. If it is important the photos are color shots of the bay in maryland (long exposure with reflection) i have 2 shots like this, one is a B&W of a historic local theater, and another is a color street scene.

ANY advice anyone can give me to get my prints done so they look professional and would have a chance of selling would be GREATLY appreciated

Head to a photo lab in your area, google or yellowpages or whatever to find them. Maybe ask other photographers where they go? The lab will be best to tell you what you need to do and prepare to get the best print possible.

Make sure you are working with a well calibrated monitor and that you ask the lab not to do any corrections to the image

I'd consider having large prints mounted by the lab. There are many different materials that a photo can be mounted to; some of the options that my lab offers are; card stock, gator-board, Masonite etc. This will help to keep the print smooth for a long time.

I have a handful of 16x20 prints that were not mounted, and were just stuck into cheap frames. They are now wavy.

If you are responsible for framing, you might want to get them professionally framed. The right matte & frame can really make or break an image.

Most reactions

Back