help with my first velvia shoot !!

placeonthecorner

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.raisingmissjune.co.uk
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
ok, so i have never shot color slide film before, and i was wondering if there was anything to look out for, or any precautions to take? .. its 100 speed and im shooting on a kiev 60 .. il be shooting portraits in the rural Scottish outdoors .. I dont have a light meter so i was going to use my 30d for exposure readings .. any advice would be ace, thanx :)

It's got a very limited exposure range. It's very easy for shadows to block up, so I would lean towards exposing for them. Your highlights will mostly blow out anyway in bright sunlight.

Yes, the exposure latitude is fairly narrow...so make sure your exposures are spot on.

Also, Velvia is know for rich, saturated colors...which is great for landscapes but sometimes not the best choice for portraits. I can't hurt to try it out though.

Oh yeah. Good point. Scratch Velvia if you can. I'd opt for Provia instead, hands down.

I love Velvia, I posted a few shots here somewhere (scroll down) using Velvia 100 and Provia 400, you can see the difference in warmth/saturation.
It would make sense if you wanted reasonably coloured portraits outdoors, to shoot when the sun is at its highest, an allready orangey cast from a setting sun will be magnified on Velvia.
Uhh, at this time of year, in Scotland, the sun probably only skids across the tree tops at midday.......I wouldn't care.....the colours are beau:lmao:

i never got a "good" portrait shot with velvia either. at least saturation-wise it is a bit too much for most people's faces.

in terms of dynamic range, your 30D wil be even more narrow than velvia. But Max is right about the shadows, you could easily lose them on velvia. This is often OK in landscape or architectural photography, but in bright sunlight it could easily kill a protrait.

Most reactions

Back