Help with Overexposed Pics

shane324

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I just bought a Sony T700 point and shoot cam, i wanted something small that i can slip in my pocket and take it where ever i go. After taking a couple of pictures, i noticed a lot of the pictures are overexposed and not sharp. I took this picture on Auto mode, but I did tried with different modes like scenery, but all my pics turned out overexposed in the day time. I tried taking a subject wearing a white shirt outdoors, the white shirts appeared really bright and overexposed in the pics. This is with auto mode, so is there something wrong with the camera? I took the same shot with my dads panasonic, the pictures from the pani looks very sharp and balanced.

I've seen other pictures taken by sony t700 online, they look pretty decent, i just can't get my camera to take decent pics. Please help! thanks

DSC02464.jpg

Camera Make: SONY
Camera Model: DSC-T700
Image Date: 2009:07:06 10:00:45
Flash Used: No
Focal Length: 6.2mm
Exposure Time: 0.0025 s (1/400)
Aperture: f/4.5
ISO equiv: 100
White Balance: Auto
Metering Mode: Matrix
Exposure: Landscape Mode

You were in Matrix metering mode, so it should have taken into consideration the sky and the dark areas in the trees and balanced it all out.
I'm not really sure what happened here, unless you locked in shot while pointing it down towards the dark areas and then recomposed without resetting it (taking your finer off the shutter)...
Do you have any other shots?

black and white, boost the contrast and call it ARTsy :thumbup:

This is the only other pic i have with me at the moment, its taken in landscape mode - wrong mode - but you can see the over exposure in the sky. Thanks for the help.

DSC02286.jpg

The camera cannot get everything in perfect exposure when there is such a range between the brights and the darks.

So it choses one area to properly expose, throwing the other either dark or bright.

In the first pick, the lower foreground is well exposed (if even a bit dark at the lower end).

Thats a limitation of many cameras, even high end $5000 cameras. There are tricks to get around it, but you need more manual control and it involves taking multiple exposures and combining them.

i understand that cameras may not be able to capture a good picture with large differences in brightness in a frame. I was just trying to see if something is wrong with my camera, since I can take the exact same shot with my dads Panasonic and not have the overexposure problem. I don't think the T700 is incapable of taking these shots, i'm just wondering if it could be a defect in my camera or maybe i don't know how to use this cam :er:, well its a point and shoot cam. I've used canon, panasonics, and other sony cameras without this problem, so i doubt its my point and shoot skills :p.

I guess its hard to tell what the problem could be, but I would like to lean on the conclusion that something is wrong with the camera itself. thanks for the help

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back