Help with photo project!

Jeepinmomma

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
My photo project: Photograph a person or object using leading lines to guide the viewer's eye to the subject.

Wondering if this photo is good for this assignment, or should i crop some of the flags so its not so busy? Suggestions? Thanks!
100_1238.jpg

Last edited:
I think it could use a bit more contrast to pop the colours of the flags more, it seems a little flat gray to me right now. And I agree on not cropping. But other wise, nice shot!

Agree with the above. This image has leading lines int he form of the poles, but there is no single subject. IMO, while a nice image, it does NOT fulfill the goal of the assignment. Think along the lines of a roadway leading to a building, or a set of railway tracks (Understanding that those are tired cliches, just examples).

For the assignment i might have chose some train tracks leading to a person, or a train car. Or maybe a sidewalk leading to a tree... not really sure, not a bad image but doesnt really seem like it goes with the assignment

I think the goal of your project is to get the viewer to look someplace specific.

I'd agree with this as well. Perhaps a tighter shot of just the two central flagpoles, leading up to the flags at the top? Leads to a more distinct subject vs. having your eye bounce around amongst the various flags.

I would have shot UP one pole to one flag ... leaving your F-stop low, with flag in focus.

But that's just my opinion lol.

Yeah, photo doesn't work because there are too many 'subjects'. Additionally, leading lines usually begin in the foreground of a photo and lead the viewer into the middleground / background. For example:

4775829545_23c0232050.jpg

Went to a local park and tried this project again this is what i got:
mom2zoenzayne
">
mom2zoenzayne
DSC_0028.jpg
DSC_0028.jpg

DSC_0028.jpg

Much better in terms of the use of leading lines. I would be inclined to crop off some of the top, in fact, almost everything from just above the child's head and up. My only niggle is that the child really blends into the image. I'm almost wondering if this wouldn't work better in colour, or (and I'm sure I'll be pilloried for suggesting it) a selective colouration of the child only.

Your second effort is better, however now you should try to place your lines off-center to add visual interest, and there needs to be some contrast/separation of the subject from the background.

Keep trying. :thumbup:

This would be the photo in color and the top cropped...
DSC_0028-1.jpg
DSC_0028-1.jpg

DSC_0028-1.jpg
mom2zoenzayne

I think this works to fulfill your assignment criteria. Something that wasn't so apparent in the monochrome version:

Auto exposure, 1/20 sec, f/5.3, ISO 400

That's from your EXIF data; 1/20 of a second is too slow any sort of portrait work, even if you're using a tripod, or one of those rare people can hold a camera at that speed and get a sharp image, your subject isn't likely to stay still that long. Try and use a minimum of 1/60 and ideally, 1/125. Understand you can't always do that, but just bear it in mind.

I think this works to fulfill your assignment criteria. Something that wasn't so apparent in the monochrome version:

Auto exposure, 1/20 sec, f/5.3, ISO 400
That's from your EXIF data; 1/20 of a second is too slow any sort of portrait work, even if you're using a tripod, or one of those rare people can hold a camera at that speed and get a sharp image, your subject isn't likely to stay still that long. Try and use a minimum of 1/60 and ideally, 1/125. Understand you can't always do that, but just bear it in mind.

I'm honestly still trying to figure out how to use my camera, i had it on auto and on the portrait setting, which of course is always the same.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back