Help with portfolio photos

dreams of film

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi,

I am putting together my first portfolio. Not for the purpose of getting business but to demonstrate my best so far. Please some ideas on these.

portfolio7.jpg

portfolio11.jpg

portfolio12.jpg

portfolio6.jpg

portfolio13.jpg

Same subject zoomed right in.
portfolio14.jpg

ok, first tought: invest in a good flash

#1 - OOF and the eyes ar too dark

#2 - OOF

#3 - snapshot-ish

#4 - eyes are too dark, and i don't like the garbage by the kid's hand

#5 - i like this, except for the crooked horizon and the wierd streak through it.

#6 - crop doesn't work here

Nice family and vacation snapshots.

ohh dear.:meh:

keep shooting. if that is your best so far, so be it. learn all you can about photography and you will look back at these and :banghead:

The landscapes are decent, but you needed to pull back on your field of view, not crop it in tighter. And yes, they are not level.

p!nK

Study art and keep shooting.

ohh dear.:meh:

keep shooting. if that is your best so far, so be it. learn all you can about photography and you will look back at these and :banghead:

The landscapes are decent, but you needed to pull back on your field of view, not crop it in tighter. And yes, they are not level.

p!nK

this.

Thank you Rusty for your help. One thing I have learned here is that some of you just like to be mean without the help. Those like Rusty who do offer help are great. Others like mrpink seem to be out to degrade not help.

Thank you Rusty for your help. One thing I have learned here is that some of you just like to be mean without the help. Those like Rusty who do offer help are great. Others like mrpink seem to be out to degrade not help.

You posted here for opinions, don't get angry when you don't hear what you wanted to.

What was degrading about what mrpink said? Take your "portfolio pictures" and compare them to a seasoned proffesional's portfolio and tell me if you notice a difference.

I agree with those above. Keep shotting and taking the advice of other posters, and like mrpink said, you will look back on these and be amazed at your progress.

Most importantly, keep shooting!

I think most all the faces needed a little extra light. The first one the eyes are pitch black. Also in the first the power lines in the back don't help an already poor shot.
Number 2 there is no clarity to the face. There is motion and the blurr may help add to effect but atleast the face should be more in focus. Looks like the lense is to slow and a little flash would have helped a ton to brighten up the subject. Number 3 should be full body. I think alot is left out of the photo and again should have some flash to bring the subject out of the shadow. Number four is hands down my favorite. I think it is a nice cute shot. I would have liked to have seen a little light on the face to bring him out a little better. The last two do nothing for me. Way to much misty pink and the last one is just pink with little character. Just my opinion from a more artistic view. If you concentrate on lighting up the faces a little better and enhancing that I think you will do much better.

There is no reason to put together a portfolio if you are not looking to make money. They take a long time to make, and end up costing quite a bit.

If you are just talking about a digital portfolio, I'd still have to ask why. It takes time, and for someone not looking to make money from it you'd just be better off making a slide show.

Buy keynote or the microsoft equivalent (is it bad I can't remember the name?). Make a slide show of your favorite work, and show that off. A portfolio won't be worth your time or money.

:lmao:

He's often one of the rudest ones here.

:lmao:

keep working at it, the more you shoot, the better you will get! I have had my SLR since March and I am amazed at the difference I see in that short amount of time. Granted, I have taken over 5000 photos. I have enjoyed looking at the photographs on here and reading the critiques. Sometimes you will see things you would have never noticed before!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back