Help with portrait shooting.

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by redonyx, Feb 5, 2010.

1. redonyx

redonyx TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I'm getting to be very interested in learning how to shoot portraits. I've read several books on the subject as well as looked at several websites. While these give me great ideas, they do not give any feedback. And while this forum is great, the majority of the feedback I get doesn't help me learn. I was wondering if there was someone out there who would be willing to more or less "mentor" me in portrait photography. This would really only mean critiquing about 1 or 2 images a week until I get comfortable.

I'm a student currently so I don't have the means to pay for lessons, but if there is something I can do in return I'd be glad to.

Thanks.

2. ilovemy50d

ilovemy50d TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Maybe contact some of your local photographers? I know my wedding photographer is very, very helpful. She has even invited me over to play with her gear!

3. FattyMcJ

FattyMcJ TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Naughty...:lol:

4. Bitter Jeweler

Bitter Jeweler Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    Just keep posting up images. People won't get annoyed if you post up a few images a week. I don't understand the "majority of the feedback" comment, as I have only seen you post 1 image of a person, so far. Yes you will have to sift through misinformation, but over all this is a great place.

That aside, most of the art of photography comes from within. People can help you a ton with technical stuff, but when it comes down to posing, composition, processing, environments, angles, etc...thats gotta come from within. It will come in time. Look at tons of images and figure out why stuff works, and why it doesn't. Or, what you like and what you don't. There are "rules" or guidelines to use, learn them, figure out how to successfully break them. After all, photography is an art, not just a skill.

Keep shooting, and keep posting!

5. Tulsa

Tulsa TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    If you are willing to learn, and listen to feedback your given people will help here, I am not a pro, but I think I can give helpful feedback. Keep posting like Jeweler said.

6. redonyx

redonyx TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks. I'm very willing to learn. I'll take whatever suggestions I can get.

7. the iconic image

the iconic image TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I'll go with BitJew's view on the subject.. Technical issues aside, it's posing, what looks good to you, and practicing.. Get a friend to pose for you.. Living room, backyard, anywhere.. I've been a pro for nearly 20 years and I'm still learning things and asking questions and "PRACTICING.."

Find what you like and jack with lighting and gear till you can recreate it.. You can get help with technical and concepts here while you're doing your own stuff at home..

the Iconic Image