Help with Soft box Purchase

sparelink

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I am looking to put together a portable lighting rig, and need help with modifiers. I know I want soft boxes and dont want to invest to heavily yet. I want to get my feet wet, see where it leads me and then invest once i have a better understanding.

I am looking for two ~24x36 soft boxes and one ~36 octa box. also need grids for each

These will be lit by Yongnuo speed lights controlled by a TX. I have 4 to work with if i need to double up.

They will go on Cowboy studio 8' stands.

I am hoping to spend as close to $100-150 as possible.

Can anyone recommend me boxes?

$100-150 each, or total ?

I'd check Amazon.com. The main problem you may have is you'll want the softboxes with the speedlight adapter and diffuser ring .. which will probably cost you more money.

And eBay; there are tons of MiC units which actually provide fairly decent light, and are cheap like borscht. That said, those are rather small soft boxes.

@tirediron can you provide w link to the " MiC" borscht? I searched " MiC softbox" on ebay and found some product but random Godox stuff mostly.

I would post a screenshot of my search to clarify what I found but apparently that is forbidden by you and or this site.

Here you go... eBay stuff. Godox, Neewer, Photodiox,are all brands in this category.

Just to clarify: The policy with respect to posting images to which you do not hold rights is a TPF policy, not a personal one (though as a photographer, it's one I support wholeheartedly). As a volunteer moderator, I have agreed to abide by and enforce those policies.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I have a Neewer 8" that sticks to the end of a speedlight, cant complain for 10$.

How I dont have rights to a screenshot I dont know, is there an expectation for privacy or usage rights on amazon?

$100-150 each, or total ?

I know its not much by preferable total. I am thinking Neewer or Cowboystudio. Just wanted to see if anyone has any experience with any of them.
I was looking at low cost softboxes with grids a while ago. I ended up not getting them and rigged my current brolly's with black out panels to simulate different dimensions, though limited to 42" tall.
I had found these, which are low cost considering it contains the soft box and grid - from Valufoto on amazon
==> https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=valufoto+softbox

but they each require a speedlight adapter such as ==> https://www.amazon.com/Godox-Bracke...d=1475844089&sr=1-4&keywords=valufoto+softbox

I am looking to put together a portable lighting rig, and need help with modifiers. I know I want soft boxes and dont want to invest to heavily yet. I want to get my feet wet, see where it leads me and then invest once i have a better understanding.

I am looking for two ~24x36 soft boxes and one ~36 octa box. also need grids for each

These will be lit by Yongnuo speed lights controlled by a TX. I have 4 to work with if i need to double up.

They will go on Cowboy studio 8' stands.

I am hoping to spend as close to $100-150 as possible.

Can anyone recommend me boxes?
Get the 10' stands if you can afford them. You can use them shorter than 10', but you cannot make the 8' taller if needed. Also what is the purpose of the modifiers. Full body portraits, half body, head shots etc. The purpose will help determine your needs which can determine your costs. Take a look at the Neewer stuff. Neewer - Softbox Pretty price reasonable.

Most reactions

Back