Help with Studio Equipment

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by ThornleyGroves, Sep 28, 2008.

1. ThornleyGroves

ThornleyGroves TPF Noob!

Bournemouth, Manchester, Athens, Liverpool
    Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    okay i want to make a studio, so obviously i need the umbrellas, but i need to know what other equipment is needed for studio lighting and getting the best photo...?

thanks alot...

2. Sw1tchFX

Sw1tchFX TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Strobes help, you might be able to get away with using speedlights, but I suggest something with a little more oomph so you can shoot at tighter apertures if you want to. something at least 500W/S.

Light stands, spot grids, softboxes (imo better then umbrellas if able to use them becuase of better control of spill), barndoors if need be, snoots, 12 foot tall fill cards so you can cut them down if need be and use black paint or paper to make the other side a scrim or flag, reflector discs, LOTS OF GAFFERS TAPE, clamps, seamless paper, lots of outlets around the room, a stereo of somesort is always nice, cement posts (get a folgers can, fill it with concrete and stick a 10 foot 4x4 in it), C-Stands are a godsend, at least 1 boom, tables are good for product stuff, plexi glass is good for product too, same with a pretty big mirror, at least 5 foot by 5 foot. Pop out reflectors work great too. And depending on how you want to do it, an ethernet outlet if you want interweb access if you shoot tethered. A plastic droor box thing from the dollar tree for tings like clamps, tape, screwdrivers, etc so if something goes wrong or fixing, it's there and it keeps things neat and organized.

That's pretty much what I would use (not all at once usually) on a regular basis when i'd be working in a studio.

3. keith204

keith204 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    I second using something besides strobes. About a year ago, I got a strobe setup to work for only a couple hundred bucks, but after a few photos of my dog, I sold everything I could because it was so fidgety. Now, I dropped $2k on some alienbees, softbox, skyports, stands, paper rolls, plexiglass and it's so much nicer.

4. ThornleyGroves

ThornleyGroves TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    wow thanks alot ill keep it all in mind!

5. JerryPH

JerryPH No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Well what are the goals, just some portraits at home or are you looking to take pics of groups? Amateur or professional?

Before spending any big money, I would start small... a single umbrella, a cheap strobe and develop a little knowledge. While you are learning and looking around and defining your needs, you are learning.

Then once you know what you want, you can make a good decision based on your needs. Unlike Keith, who is breaking into the world of professional photographers, and his needs define his choice of equipment, the last year of my needs have more than been 75% filled with nothing more than 1-3 strobes and umbrellas.

The differences are major in terms of $$ investment. I have something like $750 total on all my lighting equipment (4 battery powered strobes, 2 110V strobes, 6 umbrellas and light stands and the requisite wireless transmitter and receivers). Most people can start out with 1/4 the amount of equipment and do just fine, but its not pro level quality, then again... no one is paying me for pressing the shutter, either, but I do get some great results. You did read that Keith dropped a couple thousand and though that is a high amount, its only mid-level equipment in terms of what is out there. I do bet that his results are excellent as well.

I good place to learn about light is www.strobist.com and look for lighting 101 and 102.

6. ThornleyGroves

ThornleyGroves TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Jerry as i am only 16, i am currently building a portfolio for university, where i am working to go to The Fashion College of London and do Fashion Photography, so in the end it will all be used for fashion photography and editorial shoots, mostly in a studio so i thought why not start buying some of my equipment now... and ill have a look at the website, thank you very much Jerry...

7. JerryPH

JerryPH No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    The DIY world is filled with tons of good equipment.

Not because of your age, but because of your needs, I feel you could easily get away with 2 small strobes and umbrellas and get some excellent pictures. If you look at the strobist pool, some *incredible* shots are done with nothing more than a single flash/umbrella connected with a $10 sync wire.

8. Sw1tchFX

Sw1tchFX TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Since you shoot Nikon, I suggest getting some SB-600's. You can use them off camera wirelessly. That's what I use, and 99% of the pictures you see on my flickr page where strobes were used, were used with my SB-600's wireless.

9. Bifurcator

Bifurcator TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I like screens much MUCH better than umbrellas! They are way WAY more versatile and easy to just make yourself. The only downside to them is that they aren't as portable if you need to take your studio on the road. Still even in that regard there's not THAT much disadvantage to them.

In my sig there's a link to a materials list and a build design if you're interested.