Help with Sweet 16

LuckySe7en

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ok I have no idea what I'm doing with photography, I just got my slr for Christmas and I've managed to get myself hired for a Sweet 16...Just kidding everyone lol everyone can calm down now :lol:

Truth is I am fairly new to photography and my little cousin's sweet 16 is coming up. I'm not the photographer for the event, however I would like to take advantage of the practice. I'll be shooting with my canon xs. I plan to either purchase or rent a lens. before I get killed for my equipment, I understand that it's inadequate for this type of event BUT I'm not getting paid and I'm just a guest with a camera. And I also realize that the xs is more than capable of taking decent photos.

I would like some help with the additional equipment I would need, preferred lens, flash, etc. I would also like to offer her a session before the event, free of course. I'm just looking for experience and maybe some photos for my portfolio.

Any help/comments would be appreciated.

An external flash is a must have, otherwise the photos will never look professional.
A good lens, preferably a USM will help you focus quickly and catch any action shots.
A lens with a very large aperture is really good for photographing in low light situations.
Chose an ISO-speed of ISO400 or lower, to avoid photos becomming grainy.
But the number one thing is that the photographer is more important than the camera, chose your subject carefully and don't just snap away at everything.
Photo composition takes time to learn, but give it a try, and have a lot of fun with it.
Hope this was helpful.

You didn't really give any info about the environment that you'll be shooting it...so it's hard to recommend anything. But I agree with the first point on the previous comment. An external flash is probably the most useful accessory for event photography.

With a good external flash (430EX, 580EX) you probably wouldn't need a different lens (assuming you have the 18-55mm kit lens). Of course, it wouldn't hurt to have a better one...but it's certainly not needed.

sorry, the conditions I believe will be typical Hall type lighing. Indoors, low light, some w/no light as I'm sure the reception will have the lights off for the most part. As for the session, I would like to do this outdoors with a floral background. I'm hoping for a sunny day.

For just practicing, the kit lens I feel would be alright. But as others said, you definitely need an external flash. If you are renting, go for the 580EX. Rental fees are not expensive :D Can even rent an L series lens for a decent price. If you are buying the flash, keep in mind the 580 is 500 bucks and the 430 is about half that :lol:

I would really like to purchase my equipment as this will not be the only event I shoot. So maybe i'll check out the 430. maybe I can find a used one on the cheap. I was thinking I needed a lens because I dont want to interfere with the professional that's shooting the event. I wanna be out of the way. And the kit lens has very little range.

wow, just found a 580ex II locally for $375

Also, check with the professional photographer that they have hired. It may be in the contract that they will be the exclusive photographer. You don't want to step on toes and cause problems.

Also, check with the professional photographer that they have hired. It may be in the contract that they will be the exclusive photographer. You don't want to step on toes and cause problems.

good point. i'll look into that. what would be a good low light, long range lens? one that will not give me blurry shots?

An external flash is a must have, otherwise the photos will never look professional.
A good lens, preferably a USM will help you focus quickly and catch any action shots.
A lens with a very large aperture is really good for photographing in low light situations.
Chose an ISO-speed of ISO400 or lower, to avoid photos becomming grainy.
But the number one thing is that the photographer is more important than the camera, chose your subject carefully and don't just snap away at everything.
Photo composition takes time to learn, but give it a try, and have a lot of fun with it.
Hope this was helpful.

I would put 400 as an absolute max. The xs is a beautiful little camera but in terms of its noise at anything upward of 300 it gets kinda bad. 400 is tolerable but if its just to get use to it then grain is not a big concern. I was a XS shooter myself till it died on me(my fault not the cameras)

So will I be able to capture decent shots with just an external flash? No special lens, hood, filter, etc?

Most reactions

Back