help with wide angle!

kimbie05

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

It's been ages since I've posted on here, but you guys are always so helpful and I appreciate ANY input. I tried searching back as not to repeat a previous thread, so sorry if this has been asked...

I am looking for a wide WIDE angle lens that's no more than $500, some distortion is completely fine, and preferably an aperture that opens more than 4.5 (as I'll be shooting in low light situations without a flash at times...dragging the shutter). Is this possible? I shoot with a Nikon D200.

I need it for exterior building shots (I freelance for a real estate company) and some fun, big, wide group/dancing shots at weddings (I freelance these as well) - just one lens for both of these! I just recently bought a Nikkor 20mm/2.8 on a whim because I had read great, great reviews about the "wide-angle" factor. However, I was so sad and disappointed when I got it in the mail today and it's no wider than my standard 18-70 that came with my camera! I should have researched more, I suppose.

Any suggestions/links would be greatly appreciated! Thanks, guys.

Sigma 8mm wide angle circular fisheye. Rediculously wide lens.

Thanks so much, but I was hoping to stay away from the fisheye... I was looking for just, really, really...wide. I'm not a huge fan of fisheyes, but I really appreciate the input!

Sigma 8mm wide angle circular fisheye. Rediculously wide lens.
You don't want to use a fisheye for real estate.

If you need to go wider than 18mm and still need it to be rectilinear, you need the Nikkor 12-24mm f/4 DX. The only off brand that I would even consider is maybe Tokina. They also make a 12-24 f/4. with those, verticals still stay straight, and 10mm gives off 180 degrees worth of viewing angle on digital Nikons, so you can imagine how wide 12mm is.

Oh sorry, yeah not too many people want to buy a house where the foundation can be bent in a rainbow like arch. I know sigma also makes a 10-22 or something of the sort.

Thanks, sw1tch. You know, I was borrowing my friend's Tokina 12-24 that you suggested for a while, I don't know why I didn't think to look into the Nikkor version.

What about the Sigma 10-20... I've never used a Sigma. Thoughts/feedback??

Most reactions

Back