HELP!

Don't fret, just shoot.

It's pretty intuitive.

I'm very new to DSLRs. I'm going to manhattan / NYC tonight to take some shots to test out the camera. any advice?
i have a nikon d80.

helpppppp meeee :D

Do you have a tripod? You will need it for night shots. If you don't have a tripod, bring several handkerchiefs to use as a cushion and place your camera on something, perhaps a wall or a trash can or a mailbox. Some exposure examples but bracket, bracket, bracket (night scenes are very unpredictable):

Skyline
ISO 800, f/4, 1 second

Medium bright street scenes
ISO 800, f/4, 1/15 second

Depending on exactly how "new" you are, you might wish to start with the Night Landscape "PhD" (Push here Dummy) mode. Look at page 24 of your user manual. Be forewarned that you will still have lengthy exposures.

I imagine it is not very hygenic. And gross, actually.

I imagine it is not very hygenic. And gross, actually.
I don't know where you fingers have been, but my shutter release is quite clean.

To the OP: Socrates' advice is great. You definitely should bracket. What have you got for a lens? I don't know how the D80's ISO response is, but if you have a very fast lens (f/1.8 or better) you MIGHT be able to get away with handholding at ISO 1600. But if you've got a tripod, or a very stable surface, set your ISO as low as you can. And don't trust your screen. It's too small. Shoot and reshoot.

Your shutter release button is about as clean as your phone.

Your phone is, most definitely, not clean.
My shutter release button is quite clean, thank you very much!

I lick the shutter button clean every night before putting the camera away....

:D

My shutter release button is quite clean, thank you very much!

I lick the shutter button clean every night before putting the camera away....

:D

Remind me to NEVER touch your camera.

Ever.

:lmao:

I know how you feel it is difficult for me to get used to the digital metering. I love an old Panasonic camera that my mom purchased in the 70's and gave to me for my college photography class. Where I felt like I could play more with the light meter and make the photos more mine. I know that I can do that same thing with my digital camera and with my Cannon that has a digital light meter, but I just don't feel like I get the same results.

I tell you, some of the discussions in this thread... :lmao::lmao:

But anyways, set the ISO as low as you can, put the camera in Program mode, rest the camera on a stable surface, and shoot. Just try until you get it right, really!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back