Help!

LukeBatista

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So basically I've always had a love for photography but I am only deciding to get into it now. The thing is though is I don't know which camera to buy. I'm looking to spend under $1000 on the body. The pictures that I would be taking are mostly all scenery and city pictures. I am from toronto and taking pictures at night of the city all lit up is what I had in mind but I also want a camera that is good for all kinds of lighting.

Nikon D5300 with a Nikon AF-S DX NIKKOR 10-24mm f/3.5-4.5G ED. You'll also want a tripod and a remote shutter release for nightime/low light landscapes.

It's all about a steady camera and a good quality lens for wide angle landscape shots.

I will also look at the the sigma 10-20, heard very good things about it, and it should be cheaper than the Nikkor. The kit lens might also be ok (18-55?), but I think the other 2 lenses are sharper.

If night photography is your thing, then I would recommend something with wider dynamic range than a DXX00 series body. A used D700 should easily come in under your budget, and will be much more suitable for shooting at night.

Nikon D5300 with a Nikon AF-S DX NIKKOR 10-24mm f/3.5-4.5G ED. You'll also want a tripod and a remote shutter release for nightime/low light landscapes.

It's all about a steady camera and a good quality lens for wide angle landscape shots.

Hi thank you for your quick reply. I was talking to many local photographers and many of them use canons which is why it is so hard for me to make a decision. In your opinion, which do you think is better? Canon or Nikon?

If night photography is your thing, then I would recommend something with wider dynamic range than a DXX00 series body. A used D700 should easily come in under your budget, and will be much more suitable for shooting at night.

Hi thank you for your quick reply. I was talking to many local photographers and many of them use canons which is why it is so hard for me to make a decision. In your opinion, which do you think is better? Canon or Nikon?

Canon/Nikon = Ford/Chevy. There's no real 'winner' in one system over the other. Each model has advantages & disadvantages when compared to it's equivalent in the competing brand, but on a brand/brand basis? They're pretty much equal. Things that should be deciding factors for which brand you buy into are: Availability of spares & accessories (ie, is your local camera store slanted more to one than another), ergonomics (control layouts are generally similar across most models of a brand, very similar between models within a category) which is a LOT more important than people give it credit for. If you have small or large hands, or limited movement, one brand may not work at all for you based on it's control layout.

Hello fellow Torontonian :)
Current Canon cameras use old sensor technology, their low light perfomance the dynamic range is not at the same level with Nikons cameras (who actually uses Sony's sensors).
For 1000$ you can get the Nikon D5300 and keep a lot of money in your pocket.
The D5300 was just replaced with the D5500 but honestly in many ways its the same camera and aint worth the extra money.
Another option is Nikon D7100, awesome camerq but it too should be replaced soon.
You can also consider getting a used Nikon D610, full frame, amazing low light performance and wonderful dynamic range.

Currently Canon is using old sensor technology, its T3i, T5 and T5i are all using sensor from 5 years ago, the 70D is slightly better but not much.
The Canon 7D II is a different beast, got good low light performance but its a sports camera and is VERY expensive, not design for what you need and dynamic range and IQ is not same as Nikon's camera.

Nikon at the moment is the better option for landscape photography as they have better dynamic range in their sensors currently which can be a significant advantage for landscape photography especially at the entry end of the market.

Current Canon cameras use old sensor technology, their low light perfomance the dynamic range is not at the same level with Nikons cameras (who actually uses Sony's sensors).
The D5300 was just replaced with the D5500 but honestly in many ways its the same camera and aint worth the extra money.
Another option is Nikon D7100, awesome camerq but it too should be replaced soon.
You can also consider getting a used Nikon D610, full frame, amazing low light performance and wonderful dynamic range.

Currently Canon is using old sensor technology, its T3i, T5 and T5i are all using sensor from 5 years ago, the 70D is slightly better but not much.
The Canon 7D II is a different beast, got good low light performance but its a sports camera and is VERY expensive, not design for what you need and dynamic range and IQ is not same as Nikon's camera.

Thank you for the reply ! I was looking at the Nikon d5300 actually but then saw that many photographers in the GTA use canon so that kind of made it all more confusing? Which camera do you use and is there any way Id be able to see some of your photos on Instagram or something ?

Thank you for the reply ! I was looking at the Nikon d5300 actually but then saw that many photographers in the GTA use canon so that kind of made it all more confusing? Which camera do you use and is there any way Id be able to see some of your photos on Instagram or something ?
If you look right at the bottom of my post you will see my signature, in it is all my gear, my Flickr account where you can see my pictures and a little photography site I made.
I am a Nikon user and from my experience in the GTA you see almost 50% Canon and 50% Nikon with Sony and Fuji getting a part of the action too.
You are welcome to send me a PM (Private Message) and I will be happy to try and help you the best way I can.

Most reactions

Back