Helpful criticism

Discussion in 'People Photography' started by EGVphotography, Jul 2, 2010.

1. EGVphotography

EGVphotography TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
    I know the face is kinda dark, but can anyone tell me how to fix it or other stuff?
    My photos are NOT ok to edit

2. myfotoguy

myfotoguy TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    A couple thoughts:

To Fix it during shooting, a few ideas:
    • Use fill flash to fill in the shadow area under the hat.
    • Use a reflector to reflect available light into the face.
    • Spot meter on the forehead (this may make other parts of the scene go too bright).
    • Use exposure compensation to lighten the face of the subject, this could be used in combination with spot metering, and also compensation may be required as when metering a dark object the camera will sometimes over correct.
    After the fact fixing. If you happen to have shot in RAW, you will have more leverage for adjustments but something could be done with a JPEG as well. Many programs have shadows/highlights tools. I use ACDSee Pro which has a "light EQ" which adjusts the lighting of several different specific tone bands. That may help to lift the shadows a bit.

3. Aragorncito

Aragorncito TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I only would fix some levels on the forheada and eyes area. In my personal opinion and for experience I try not to use flash becasue flash may tend to "flat" . What I do in this cases is to fill with a reflection you could use a reflecting sourface, this way you use the same kind of light and gives it a special tone, experiment you'll see it could be fun :) . About the composition is good just try to crop some of the building to place the eye's line closer to the first third. I like the tone of the trees in the back ! . Very nice work !

4. Robin Usagani

Robin Usagani Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    Add red to your photo. Usually you want to add red when you shoot dark skinned person.

5. Nocojoe

Nocojoe TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Use the histogram on your camera to make sure you are getting a proper exposure. Then you can use all those light modifiers and strobes to help you mold the light to suit your needs once you know where you are on your exposure.