Helpful Tips for Shooting Events

DevC

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hell all,
I am planning on shooting a small celtic event that is occuring in my area today. I currently have just a nikon d90 and a 50mm 1.8 and a 18-55 kit lens...which are great lenses i do think personally, but the key thing is that i'm limited in my zoom ability. This may be OK at the end of the day because there could be some creativity done via composition, but i'm wondering if there is any tips on going through and shooting such events based on these conditions:
-lots of crowded drunk people everywhere...nervous to carry my gear around for that reason. Also, it seems more than impossible to push through the masses of people to get close enough to take the shot i'd like since i can't zoom in that much.
-Sweating, dehydration from moving around alot in the bright daylight. I'm planning on bringing a bottle of water or two, but it still seems pretty easy to get dehydrated.

Any good tips to get good shots with what i have without getting dehydrated or having to push through zillions of people?

I've usually done events indoors with a shorter lens (50mm) and outdoors obviously with a longer lens (135mm). Since that's not an option I'd use the 50 but that's just preference over using a zoom.

I'd probably start roaming and looking and see what looks interesting, where something's happening, with an interesting background, see how it looks thru the viewfinder. As needed change your vantage point, take a step or two or a few; in tight spots I've sometimes leaned or scrunched down etc. to change what I was getting in my viewfinder.

I think it involves timing, I do a good bit of watching, getting a good spot and getting set (framed/focused), then watching as people move in and out of the scene/the viewfinder or wait til they react, smile, etc. (I got so I can do it with both eyes open just closing one enough to reframe/refocus.) Chances are you'll get shots with somebody moving in the way but I'd just take another shot and keep going - it takes practice I think to get good at this.

Sounds like you'll have to try to work your way thru the crowd, maybe around the edges and squeeze your way in bit by bit toward the booth/table/stage, try shots from closer to the side if getting directly in front isn't a good option. I just carry a camera and don't necessarily plan on changing lenses. I carry my camera with the lens somewhat in toward me and my arm over/around it to keep it close. If I have a small bag/purse I wear it crossbody in front of me not slung over my shoulder (don't want it in back of me).

I would plan on getting the shots I want as I go without needing to backtrack at a large event. Hope you have fun.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back