Hemel Hempstead Blast - name your local disaster

Discussion in 'Off Topic Chat' started by duncanp, Dec 14, 2005.

1. duncanp

duncanp TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Living in hemel hempstead i got some good pictures of the explosion. unfortunatley the shockwave destroyed my computer so i will upload the pics soon when i get a new one

neways name your local disaster

2. digital flower

digital flower No longer a newbie, moving up!

Here is a couple of nasty road accidents that have been around here:

Early on the morning of June 28, 1983, a 100-foot section of the northbound Mianus River Bridge collapsed, sending vehicles 70 feet into the river below and killing three people. The bridge used a "pin-and-hanger" design commonly used in 1950's-era highway spans that lowered construction costs. The failure of the steel pins that held the horizontal beams together caused the span to fall into the river. at the time of the collapse, the Connecticut Department of Transportation (ConnDOT) had only 12 engineers, working in two-man teams, to inspect the state's 3,425 bridges.

Another tragic 1983 accident led to an important decision regarding the future of the Connecticut Turnpike. In January of that year, a tractor-trailer collided with three cars at the Stratford toll plaza, taking the lives of seven people and injuring many more. The accident prompted state officials to consider removing the eight barrier toll plazas on the turnpike.

On the evening of March 25, 2004, a southbound tanker truck carrying 9,000 gallons of fuel oil collided with an automobile, hit a concrete barrier and split open, emptying its cargo onto the bridge carrying I-95 over Howard Avenue in Bridgeport. The ensuing fire caused the southbound lanes of the bridge to fall four feet, while damage to the northbound lanes was limited.

Of course July 6, 1944 was
    The Day the Clowns Cried in Hartford.

The worse thing was when we lost 65 Connecticut residents on 9/11. Many from my part of the state.

Fires, floods, construction accidents, hurricanes......

3. Scurra

Scurra TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    It'd be the Hemel blast as well, I felt it in Harrow. In fact it woke me from quite a nice dream :s