Henri Cartier-Bresson, photojournalist?

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by groen-kikkertje, Jan 6, 2006.

1. groen-kikkertje

groen-kikkertje TPF Noob!

I was wondering: was Herni Cartier-Bresson a photojournalist?

Thanks in advance,
    Groen-Kikkertje

2. danalec99

danalec99 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    is this for the school paper as well?? :)

HCB

3. Krim

Krim TPF Noob!

allegdly - He was a Fraud, and on his death bed revealled that many of his so called 'candid' reportage images were indeed staged and not just being in the right place at the right time..... but i guess he did some photojournalism work, more magazine commissioned work though. Search the web, there;s loads on him.

Krim

:wink:

4. danalec99

danalec99 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    interesting.... would you happen to have link to an article or something to back that up? I'm interested. Thanks!

5. Krim

Krim TPF Noob!

No i don't i'm afraid, bumped into a guy at an exhibition in Ldn who used to be one of my tutors at art-school 4or5 years ago, there was some Cartier Bresson work there, so the subject came up and he seemed to know what he was talking about.

I guess its the sort of thing that you may struggle to find info about on the web, could be conspiracy theory, but then there is some of his work that seems too good to be true?? everyone gets lucky, but he seemed to get lucky often??

Simon

;)

6. Hertz van Rental

Hertz van Rental TPF Noob!

I haven't heard anything about a 'death bed confession' by H C-B. I always consider such admissions highly suspect - after all the person supposedly confessing is no longer around to contradict.
    It is a possibility, though, as an awful lot of reportage has been staged over the years. Even asking someone to 'turn this way' or 'could you do that again?' could be considered stage-managing.
    There is that famous photograph 'Death of a Loyalist Militiaman' by Robert Capa, reputedly showing a soldier being shot during the Spanish Civil War. There is some evidence to show that it was a fraud as the same soldier appears again alive and well later in the contact sheet. But there you have evidence.
    Until someone comes up with documentary evidence I shall reserve judgement on H C-B. But even if he did 'fake' some, it doesn't make him any the less great as a photographer.

7. danalec99

danalec99 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I haven't heard of a db confession either. Towards the end he favoured painting. But a fraud? :scratch:

It is likely that Krim's tutor may have been a bit exaggerating on the 'turn this way' sort of directions; hopefully.

8. Dave_D

Dave_D TPF Noob!

Have you seen the documentary on the history channel about the US civil war? Apparently, the photographers staged their shots of carnage throwing in some live guys to play dead. One of the giveaways was that there rifles and supplies were still there with them. HC is given credit for heralding in the age of photojournalism and it's just hard to say. I guess I'm with HVR on this one.

9. Hertz van Rental

Hertz van Rental TPF Noob!

That's been known for a long time. They moved corpses around too and posed them. The famous one is called 'home of a rebel sharpshooter' by Alexander Gardner. The photographer took a photo of a corpse where it had fallen - then it was carried 100yds to some rocks and posed. I doubt if H C-B ever went quite that far.

10. Unimaxium

Unimaxium TPF Noob!

Northeastern University, originally from Philly
    Photos OK to edit
    I believe I remember hearing that the famous Iwo Jima photograph is also known to have been staged. Apparently after they raised the flag the photographer had soldiers re-pose so he could take a photograph of it. I'm not sure about the authenticity of the rumor, although I think it's more well-known than other rumors about different artists.

Does anyone know if HCB's photo Place de l'Europe is suspected to have been staged? I love that photo. It would be so cool if it wasn't.

11. Dave_D

Dave_D TPF Noob!

I remember hearing the same, but I don't remember the specifics.

12. photoboy15

photoboy15 TPF Noob!

Unimax that is true. There are picure of the original but minutes later they put it up again for more photos.