Here goes. "Tiger Swallowtail"

GSDMan

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Okay, here is my very first shot on TPF. It's one of my favorites. I'd love to know what you think of it.

IMGP2316a.jpg

great portrait)) will be perfect u shot surface)))) anyway itt's realy cool! regs

welcome and thats a great first post! :thumbup:

Welcome to the forum. That's a stellar first post!! I like the dof, the backlighting, and how crisp the colours and definition are on the bottom of the wings. Good job.

It's a great angle, and would be a great shot if not for the huge green leaf in the upper right. The blown highlight on the leaf is the brightest part of the scene, and draws our eyes right to it.

Digital Matt said:
It's a great angle, and would be a great shot if not for the huge green leaf in the upper right. The blown highlight on the leaf is the brightest part of the scene, and draws our eyes right to it.

Eww. I did the leaf thing on purpose to add some more depth. Too much?

Blown highlight? I've heard the term before, but not sure what it means. Help?

Actually, these little buggers were not all that cooperative. They were more interested in flying from flower to flower than posing for me. Inconsiderate little stinkers, if you ask me!

Thank you all for your replies.

GSDMan said:
Eww. I did the leaf thing on purpose to add some more depth. Too much?

Blown highlight? I've heard the term before, but not sure what it means. Help?

Actually, these little buggers were not all that cooperative. They were more interested in flying from flower to flower than posing for me. Inconsiderate little stinkers, if you ask me!

Thank you all for your replies.

Depth might play a more important role in a landscape picture, but not really here I don't think. The leaf is just distracting, and it blocks half of the beautiful subject. Highlight is the bright part of the image. When I said "blown", I meant overexposed, and lost detail. It draws your attention to it first thing.

I know these guys are hard to photograph. Part of the fun is being in the right place, and waiting for the right moment.

nice detail and colors. I agree with DM about the leaf. First thing I though was, "wow what a great capture, but too bad that leaf is in the way." It is being more of a distraction than helping the comp, afterall the butterfly is your subject and it's beautiful, i want to see the whole thing! nice shot, can't wait to see more. :thumbup:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back