Here it comes... going to be a second shooter - need flash, help.

PhotoXopher

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.lightartisan.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Never thought I'd be starting one of these threads but here goes.

Camera body: D300s
Lenses: 18-50 f/2.8 and 80-200 f/2.8

I'm going to be a second shooter for a couple weddings this summer and the photographer I'm shooting with uses SB-600's. From what I understand, my responsibility will be more the creative/fun shots that are more candid. I'd like to get a flash unit and can't justify the SB-900 so my choices are:

Nikon SB-600
Nissin di-866

I wish I could find a nice SB-800 for a reasonable price (doesn't everyone), but that's not looking very promising.

From everything I've read so far I'm leaning toward the Nissin di-866 unless there is some valid reasoning to get the SB-600. I've had a couple SB-600's in the past and sold them from lack of use since my SB-400 can handle most of my day to day shooting.

So, that said - I wish I could tell you about the venue, etc but I don't know anything about it and won't until it gets closer to the wedding day.

Thanks for any suggestions!

PS
If you have an SB-800 you'd like to sell for $250 let me know! :mrgreen:

Never thought I'd be starting one of these threads but here goes.

Camera body: D300s
Lenses: 18-50 f/2.8 and 80-200 f/2.8

I'm going to be a second shooter for a couple weddings this summer and the photographer I'm shooting with uses SB-600's. I'd like to get a flash unit and can't justify the SB-900 so my choices are:

Nikon SB-600
Nissin di-866

I wish I could find a nice SB-800 for a reasonable price (doesn't everyone), but that's not looking very promising.

From everything I've read so far I'm leaning toward the Nissin di-866 unless there is some valid reasoning to get the SB-600. I've had a couple SB-600's in the past and sold them from lack of use since my SB-400 can handle most of my day to day shooting.

So, that said - I wish I could tell you about the venue, etc but I don't know anything about it and won't until it gets closer to the wedding day.

Thanks for any suggestions!

PS
If you have an SB-800 you'd like to sell for $250 let me know! :mrgreen:

you can get a sb-600s for around 250 (here in canada)

Still kicking myself for selling mine for $185 shipped :lol:

I can get an SB-600 for $219 from Best Buy if need be, but still looking at alternatives.

I can't say that I've examined a Nissin flash lately, but it seems pretty typical that Canon/Nikon flash units are built A LOT better than the 'cheaper' off brand flashes.
Then there is always the question of compatibility...sure, they say that they will work with your camera's TTL system...but can you count on that?

So my advice is to just get the SB-600. You'll be happy you did.

I would seriously seriously consider selling you my sb-800 for around $250. let me look at something real quick, but send me a PM. I have paypal and such...

Thanks for the replies everyone, I appreciate it. I may have my ideal solution worked out thanks to themedicine...

The beauty of an online forum.

Check his paypal twice

HEY! I'm honest! haha. i don't know what he means either. but that's ok. We'll get back on it tomorrow.

Most reactions

Back