here's a couple of portraits, anything I could have done better?

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by page_tyson, May 10, 2010.

1. page_tyson

page_tyson TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
  2. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    They are too big. 1600 pixels is way too big for most monitors. Keep it down to 800 or less, so that we can view the image as a whole.

In the first one, I think you could crop out the dead space above her head. This not only gets rid of 'dead space' in favor of good space (more subject) but would also get her eyes away from the centre of the image. (think rule of thirds).
    Small nitpick, but she has a lot of stray hairs. Not a big deal for a family type portrait, but it's certainly something that can be improved. These can be a real pain to edit out, although it's possible, but a getting her to brush/comb/wet her hair before the photo is an easier fix.
    The skin on her face is looking just a little hot (bright). I'm not on a calibrated monitor here, so I might be off.
    She has great eyes, but a little bit of post work could make them stand out even more.

Now on to the 2nd one.
    Again, too much space above them. One of the girls even has her feet cut off at the bottom. Just a guess, but you might be falling into the trap of focusing with the centre point, but then snapping the photo before considering the whole composition. I sometimes get into that habit when shooting people. If you leave enough room, you can adjust your composition with cropping, but you loose resolution when you crop, so try to do it in the viewfinder before you open the shutter.

I'd take out those wires behind them. Should be a very simple job.

The pose/composition is pretty good. Except for the one girl who is hidden behind the girl in the front/left. It's like there is one head growing out of another.
    When composing a group, try to imagine an arrangement of heads. You want a nice arrangement of heads...so consider things like spacing. For the most part, there is a fairly equal and nice looking space between their heads, except for the girl on the left. There is a slightly wider space between the 4th and 5th girls. Evening that out, would be an improvement, but the big mistake is the girl on the left.
    Another thing to consider when placing heads, are triangles. It's usually (always) looks better when you can draw a triangle between any three elements. In other words, don't place anybody in a line (no heads right beside or above another).
    Also, one girl's head is right in front of that wheel. You can't always eliminate something like that, but watch out for it when you can.

There are two girls with straight arms. I think that those poses are not as nice looking as those who have bent arms. The girl on the left even looks to be holding herself up a little bit, which flexes the arm...not good. More relaxed would be better.
    The girl in the centre has light skin, so her bare arm is bright, just like the faces...it competes for attention with the faces, which isn't good. It's also at a twisted angle, which also isn't good. Lastly, both her hands are too flush to the camera. The two girls on the right have better hand position, see how much better they look?

There is a bit of a softness issue here as well. The girl on the far right especially, is not sharp. I don't know if this is a shutter speed issue, or something else. It's not a huge, huge problem...but on a 16x20 print, it certainly might be.

There are many good things about these images, there are still pretty good. But certainly room for improvement. :D

3. page_tyson

page_tyson TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    wow, thanks for time spent on the advice.

4. PerfectlyFlawed

PerfectlyFlawed TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Wow is right,he covered this NICELY.. i cant think of anything else to add to it..
    :thumbup:

5. ShutterShaman

ShutterShaman TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Big Mike had some great comments on the two so I won't add anything, but I think he missed the B&W picture at the top. Rotate it 90 degrees counter clock wise and it's perfect. Otherwise the focus is too much on her mouth and not her eyes IMHO.