Heres a photography marketing question - realestate

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by GerryDavid, Dec 12, 2004.

1. GerryDavid

GerryDavid No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Realestate companies need pictures of the houses to sell them. I presume most may just go out with a p&s camera and take thier own pictures, but im sure some hire a photographer.

So when I move to my new location, im thinking of going around to all the realestate companies and ask if they need my services for professional quality pictures to help sell thier houses, freelance.

I was just wondering if anyone here has done this, and if so what kind of money you make from doing it.

I was thinking of doing it as freelance, where Id take some pictures and they would buy the one they like the best out of the proofs. it would be a 3 step charge: gas, rights to use the image, and ps work if it needs it.

2. Lepospondyl

Lepospondyl TPF Noob!

I think if you get too professional with them, they'll walk away. I know at least one realtor here uses a freelancer (who uses a p&s it looks like!!!!). She charges them $60.00 to go to the house and take a half dozen photos.

I found this out after I took photos of my friends house for their realtor (as a favor). He just about fell over when they took the photos in to him. I didn't even think I did that great a job until I saw some of the photos their hired "professional" takes for them.

The realtor told me that $60 was pretty much the business' cap on photo pricing, but if I wanted to do it for them he'd put in a good word. But travelling as much as 45 minutes away and spending two hours shooting the house, worrying about weather, and then making the picture nice for them seems like a lot of work for $60 that I have to take my own taxes out of.

I also took photos for a friend of my boss. They listed their house on eBay, and had no clue how to use a camera. I ran over at lunch and shot the house for them. Boss paid me for my time, and they gave me a $50 tip when I dropped off the photos.

3. GerryDavid

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Thanks for the reply. The $60 was around what I figured on, but it doesnt seem worth to drive 45 min though. Local stuff thats not to bad.

As for the taxes and stuff, you figure in your expenses first and since the camera's are not cheap, if you put it all back into equipment, shouldnt be a problem there. :0)

4. Lepospondyl

Lepospondyl TPF Noob!

Yeah, it's just tough because I used to get $40 to shoot a car for ebay. Went to one place and did 10-20 per day, once or twice per week. That was awesome money! I'd take them all digital, then upload them to a server for them. So, it did include online storage and bandwidth, but it was still a lot of cash (he actually paid in cash every time).

$400-$800 per week is a lot of camera equipment...

Of course, he got kicked off ebay for selling a car that was a theft recovery without disclosing it first. This, of course, one week after we found out my wife was pregnant. Now I'm barely making $300 per week, working odd jobs, shooting whatever I can for however much people will give me.

Life is great, isn't it?

5. GerryDavid

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Car's is a good idea to, but I dont konw if the dealers around here uses the auto trader magazine, so they may not need pictures.

What all do you do photography wise to make money Lepospondy?

You dont want to know how much I make a week, havent had a job in a while and most my money is made on ebay items that I make like $2 on each.

6. Lepospondyl

Lepospondyl TPF Noob!

He was and still is using AutoTrader magazine, but there's only like one photo in there. I was shooting an average on 20 photos per car, so $2.00 each was great to him.

Actually, right now I don't do much photography-wise to make money. I'm not really a professional photographer, just usually the first to ask. I work in a sign shop, but only 16 h a week... for $9.00 per hour. My father owns an insulating company, so I tear out old crappy fiberglass, usually 1 day per week, and drive a truck for him sometimes. I also take picture of the work he does for his archives. But, he's in dialysis right now, so his work is really light too.

I'm trying to setup some websites for myself (I too sell on eBay), but that takes time... and time until people start buying.

7. Bokeh

Bokeh TPF Noob!

I thought of thte same idea a couple of months ago, just haven't pursued it yet. I wrote up a detailed estimate to a guy to build a web site for him, and through in photography for really cheap to ge tmy foot into the door of his establishment. Still waiting for word from him (takes him forever to do anything)

But yeah I think that's a great idea. I've seen the "photos" they have of houses; hence why I thought of the idea. I also have seen the videos of houses and thought of doing a similar thing; but alas I sold my vx2000 for a 20d :(

8. Lepospondyl

Lepospondyl TPF Noob!

It is a great idea, but you can see there are factors that could make it non-worthwhile.

If you live in a large area, someone will always undercut you.

If you're doing real estate, be prepared to drive. Our realtors have about a 45 minute radius because there are so many of them.

If you're doing cars (say for ebay), learn the rules of ebay and point out problems to the dealer. It may just keep your job!

I'm planning on moving in the next year or so, and will start out fresh in a medium sized town where they know nothing of technology... I'm hoping to re-establish my ebay business, and maybe even work with the TWO realtors in town. It will be a drive to the outskirts, but they have no set prices yet.