Heres my budget..what should i buy?

placeonthecorner

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.raisingmissjune.co.uk
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So im in the process of selling off all my possessions that i no longer need, in order to fund a new camera.
I currently use a Minolta X-570 for my 35mm work and a Kiev 60 for medium format.
Obviously the Kiev is just for fun, and my Minolta is ok but im not convinced it gives me the best negatives.
So i think my budget is going to be about £500-£600 ish. I shoot mostly in B&W but im not sure if i should buy a really good 35mm or a not too bad medium format.
I was looking at the Voigtlander R3M which ive found for around £550, and i do prefer the range finder cameras.
I was also looking at the Bronica RF.
I will be using this camera for college for the next three years, plus some traveling in between.
Anybody have any input on this? I am not too sure which way to go.

Mainly B&W, so do you develop your own film? If so then Medium format will make you happiest. If you go 'better' on your 35's then you need to concentrate on better lenses. The bodies you list are fine (assuming they are in good shape).

This may be a case of me needing to run some film through mine but have you considered a TLR? For the price you are talking you could get a nice one and some darkroom equipment too.

If you don't mind being stared at consider a Koni Omega.

Or of course Mamiyas are plentiful.

With £500-600 you could buy a very good medium format camera such as a Bronica SQA or SQAi in very good condition, probably with several backs and lenses. The lenses for the SQ system are great (particularly the 40mm, 50mm, 80mm and 150mm) and with the larger negative you will see a huge improvement over your Minolta setup.

Most reactions

Back