Here's my try (water drops/splash) 56K be warned

wyldkard

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.zcampphoto.com
After seeing a lot of these type photos recently...on here and other places, I became inspired to try my hand at it. So I went home and tried, let me know what you think. Sorry for the size if they're too big.

drops11.jpg

drops12.jpg

drops13.jpg

drops20.jpg

drops19.jpg

drops15.jpg

drops14.jpg

Please let me know what I can do to improve my technique.

1 and 7 are my favorites...

Steve

these look good to me, looks like trying your hand at something new paid off :thumbup:

These are amazing shots - that first one is great, looks like a mouth is swallowing up those drops :)

try to change the colour to blue, it will make u crazy

Thanks everyone. I did these in my kitchen sink, which is silver metal which is why they have a silver tone. I tried it several ways before I found the way that looked the best to me. The first time I tried it, I bounced the flash off the ceiling, it looked good, but kind of had an off-white/brownish tone to them. Eventually I decided to try the flash straight on, but was worried about a high reflection/glare off the water, but it didn't really hurt it.

I filled my sink up with water, then I turned the faucet to a slow drip since I didn't have anyone around to do the drops for me. I mounted the camera on a tripod, got zoomed in on the splashes and did a manual focus to get the focus right for the splashes. I believe the shutter speed was 1/125. The pics with the drops falling into the hole in the water were done from an "aerial" POV with the tripod setup higher.

I took close to 200 photos and then sorted out the ones that looked the same and then picked my favorites. I didn't look through the viewfinder except to focus initially, I just sat and tapped my foot to the sound of the drops and got into a rhythm and there was the occasional photo with nothing but still water in the frame.

Sorry this post turned out being so long.

Most reactions

Back