Heron or Egret?

Dean_Gretsch

Papa
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi all. I could use some help in an ID for this pretty creature please! It's plumage is all white.
K1600_IMG_1410.JPG

I'm thinking egret

If it is all white, then it is most likely an egret, but, there is a white phase of the Great Blue Heron, often referred to as the Great White Heron (GWH) which can be confused with the Great Egret although there is still some debate over whether or not the GWH is a different species or not. There is also a white form of the Little Blue Heron, but that is only a juvenile phase. Do you know what colour its legs and feet are as that can often add to the information necessary for a positive identification. The long neck suggests to me, at least, that it might be a Great Egret. Do you have any estimate of how tall it was? Let us know what additional information, or pictures, you have and I am sure that someone will be able to give you an ID.

WesternGuy

If it is all white, then it is most likely an egret, but, there is a white phase of the Great Blue Heron, often referred to as the Great White Heron (GWH) which can be confused with the Great Egret although there is still some debate over whether or not the GWH is a different species or not. There is also a white form of the Little Blue Heron, but that is only a juvenile phase. Do you know what colour its legs and feet are as that can often add to the information necessary for a positive identification. The long neck suggests to me, at least, that it might be a Great Egret. Do you have any estimate of how tall it was? Let us know what additional information, or pictures, you have and I am sure that someone will be able to give you an ID.

WesternGuy
It was approximately the size of a Great Blue Heron. I saw it in flight and it looked just like a GBH except white in color. I can't remember the color of the legs for certain. Thank you!

I'm thinking egret
Thank you!

Great Egret.. Great White Herons are relatively rare and they have a little blue in the face at the base of the bill

And I have no 'egrets. <sorry>
I guess it's too soon to sing Christmas carols: "Wee fish, ewe, a mare, egrets, moose, panda, hippo, gnu, deer." <sorry more>

Most reactions

Back