hey guys i am new to the photography and I want to invest in a camera not too expensive

jackblackisdope

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
and i dont now what to get! any advise?????

well my budget is around 350-450, I am still very green maybe a DSLR .....

A good used d3200 and kit lens might be a good place to start. KEH camera is a great source for used or refurbished equipment.

Sent from my 306SH using Tapatalk
Another vote for a Nikon D3200 or Nikon D3300, excellent cameras to start with.

yes, something like a Canon Rebel series - (refurbished) excellent to start with T5i, T6i, 650D -- $400

Frankly, jackblackisdope; a DSLR is like getting a scale model of a ship in a bottle for a present. You have to really want to learn it, and use it for that to make any sense. They're kind of big and heavy, and full of technical stuff. If you're into that kind of thing, then sure, a DSLR will eventually give you the kind of photographs that you can be proud of, and possibly impress family members.

On the other hand, a fairly competent "point-and-shoot" will also give you decent photographs, while being significantly easier to operate and carry around.

So for your budget, I would recommend that you do not try to find a late-production DSLR and lens combo that is a used something of the entry-level camera anyway. Rather I suggest you shop around for a "compact" camera (which is a point-and-shoot) that fits your budget, and you don't have to learn a bunch of stuff just to get some photographs.

Seriously.

(edit) I still have and use my point-and-shoot even though I now have a DSLR.

All of the above listed would be nice.

My observation is that (in general) the used lenses by canon can go a little cheaper than the similarly-situated used nikon lenses. Anyone see this phenomena?

Learning about photography is crucial (for all of us), regardless of the gear. I've seen some stunning shots taken with a cell phone!

Here's a book I'm working on:
http://www.amazon.com/The-Art-Photography-Approach-Expression/dp/1933952687

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
(edit) I still have and use my point-and-shoot even though I now have a DSLR.

Heck, I use my phone sometime and in good condition can render excellent quality picture.

For the OP's question, all of it come down to What kind of picture do you want to take ?

1)Do you want to make creative pictures / push your photography skills to the next level?
2)Do you have (or feel like learning) knowledge of exposure, composition, lens specification and other photography equipment?
3)Have you a masochistic tendency to spend your money like a new rich until you are dirt poor ?

If you said no to ANY of the above, I recommend a good point-and-shoot. Heck, today a good point and shoot can even have a manual mode, which enable you to push your photography skills further down the line if you wish to do so.

If you said yes to ALL of the above, I personally started my photography path with an entry level camera from canon called the the Rebel t3I. It's good enough for most scenario. But depending on your answer to "what kind of picture do you want to take" I might also recommend you to simply save up and go directly for an higher tier.

The camera is just a tool. You won't take better pictures with a DSLR, than you will with a compact or bridge, if you don't know how to take pictures properly.
A bridge camera like the Panasonic FZ200, has all the features you need to start with.
Later (in a few years), when you're more skilled, you could buy a more advanced camera.
Rudi

Last edited:
Instead of researching cameras maybe start with lenses. Deciding first which brand you want to go with (Canon and Nikon are the two competing giants) might be easier. Knowing what kind of photography you want to get into (still life like landscape, portraits, macro, even something like vintage cars or if you want the action shots like sports, concerts, and kids) you can research best lenses for that genre. If you have a friend or relative that has old equipment they can donate (or sell you cheap) it can definitely help narrow down the choices. New cameras come out every year and they only get better so you can certainly start with an older model, because they are MUCH cheaper, then work your way up once you have an idea of what features you like, which ones you don't need, and what you're outgrowing. You can always upgrade your camera body, but investing in good lenses will last you a lifetime.

This really boils down to why you want a camera. Some people just want to capture memories -- they aren't necessarily into photography to the point where each image is intended to be a work of art. If that sounds like you, then you're in luck... because there are a huge number of low-cost cameras on the market that can take great snapshots.

If, on the other hand, you have some specific purposes in mind, then a bit more consideration would be needed to make sure you're getting a system that will meet your needs. For artistic purposes, a person typically wants a camera that allows them to change lenses (so they can a lens optimized for the subject) and also control every aspect of the exposure (preferably quickly and easily because many cameras can be put into a kind of "manual" mode, but some cameras are designed to be used mostly in automatic modes and using their manual modes can be extremely cumbersome.)

Even cameras that might be fabulous for, say, portraits, weddings, landscapes, etc. might not be particularly fast if what you're trying to shoot is some type of action photography (sports, wildlife action, etc.)

You can get a "refurbished" Canon T5 (this is an entry-level body) with kit lens for only $279 (from the Canon online store -- assuming you are in the US).

But just getting a camera will not get great pictures... to get great pictures you'll need to spend some time learning the art of photography. You'll want to learn about the fundamentals of exposure because while you can just leave the camera in fully automatic mode, the camera won't get artistic results in that mode. To be artistic you'll want to learn what to change on the camera if you want to use selective focus (sharp subject but a heavily blurred background) or freeze action, or imply motion in a shot by deliberately blurring some aspect of action, etc. Even lighting can convey a strong sense of mood if you learn how to use it and control it. This will require a bit of reading and a lot of practice but if this is the sort of thing you want ... then that investment in time will pay off and your efforts will be rewarded.

It usually helps to own more than just the camera and the "kit" lens that the manufacturer includes with the camera. But you might be surprised at how versatile a 50mm f/1.8 lens can be when paired with even a very basic DSLR body and a 50mm f/1.8 lens is usually not very expensive (Canon's is about $125 new, Nikon's is around $215.)

I would not necessarily race out and buy any specific model unless I knew a little more about what sort of photography you would like to pursue.

I would advise a DSLR if you wish to learn about the settings etc - when too use manual / aperture / shutter priority and which aperture are required .
It used to be so easy in the past - film cameras show the interaction of shutter speeds/aperture settings and a fixed 50mm lens requires thinking about which subjects will work ...
I would also suggest a used Pentax 'cos they are cheaper and can accept really cheap 90s lenses .
If you wish to go really cheap just to learn - Sony have dropped DSLRs and there are plenty used ones at very reasonable prices .
I bought an A390 which is SO basic for £100 with kit lens and Tamron 89-200 .
Of course , these options would probably restrict you somewhat when you wish to improve.
dee

I have a great starter kit for sale in Marketplace. D3200 + 2 great lenses.
Let me know if you decide and we can talk.
All the options above are great.
Thanks.
Chris

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most reactions

New Topics

Back