Hey hey!

Sharkbait

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.whitesharkphoto.com
Just found this site today, and I'm already hooked. :-D

I've already put up a couple photos in the other forum, but thought I'd introduce myself here as well.

I'm an amateur photographer--been into it for about 3 years now, and have been steadily learning more and more, as well as improving my equipment. As of about 3 weeks ago, I'm now shooting one of the new Canon Digital Rebels, and am absolutely in love with it. I rarely go anywhere without my lowepro pack now. :-D

I have a bunch of hobbies that lend themselves to various types of photography--

I'm heavily involved with the world of saltwater aquaria, and currently am running a 130 gallon reef system in my living room. Some of my best photography has come from that glass box. ;) In fact, I'm one of the moderators of the photography forum at www.reefs.org , which is a site dedicated to marine aquaria. The discussion forums are set up using the same software as this site, so if you come visit, you'll feel right at home! Just be aware that at RDO we're allowed to attach images to posts as well as linking, so you might have to register and log in to see some of the photos. (Look for me as 'Sharkky' over there.)

I'm also a sports nut, but I don't really follow most of the 'american' sports. I was born and raised in Indiana, but my sports leanings are toward soccer (the real football), hockey, and volleyball.

Finally, by day I'm a teacher--8th grade literature and reading--in a small middle school near Indianapolis.

Whew! Anyway, I'm really glad to have found this place and look forward to seeing everyone's work! :D

-John

Hi John,
It looks like you and I are the two newcomers. You say you've been into photography for only three years, but already you seem to know more than I do, and I've been shooting as part of my job as a newspaper reporter for more than 30 years. It's only now that I've been forcing myself to like the technical stuff, that I'm learning to really appreciate what I can do with a camera. I'm finding this site a bit overwhelming, though. Hope I can wade through it and learn to appreciate it like you already seem to.
Monica--lablover47

Welcome John. I'm from Indy too. This site has a little international flavor to it, so there is pretty good exchanges sometimes. Good folks here.

lablover47 said:
Hi John,
It looks like you and I are the two newcomers. You say you've been into photography for only three years, but already you seem to know more than I do, and I've been shooting as part of my job as a newspaper reporter for more than 30 years. It's only now that I've been forcing myself to like the technical stuff, that I'm learning to really appreciate what I can do with a camera. I'm finding this site a bit overwhelming, though. Hope I can wade through it and learn to appreciate it like you already seem to.
Monica--lablover47

Hey Monica, I don't think I know much of anything about photography by a long shot. (I know much more about the workings of a coral or a sea-star! 8O ) I've always had a bit of a desire to capture some of the things I see on film (or rather digitally now), but as far as the tech stuff goes, I read the manual to the camera and just play with it to get what I want out of it. My percentage of useable shots out of the ones I shoot is still abysmally low, but it's getting better!

It's good to know I'm not the only photoforum.com newbie around! :-D

dlc said:
Welcome John. I'm from Indy too. This site has a little international flavor to it, so there is pretty good exchanges sometimes. Good folks here.

Awesome!!! Somebody local!! :-D Have you gotten any good shots of the fall foliage recently? I'm down in Greenwood and much of it is already past now, but a couple weeks ago I made a trek up to my parents' place in northern Indiana and got a ton of great shots.

Welcome aboard Shark and let's see more shots of things on the reef.

Shark said:
Shubin said:
G'day John, err... Shark..

Good to have you on board, so to speak.

Nice to be here, thanks! What part of Australia are you in? I've never been down your way, but it's one of my life's goals to dive the GBR. :-D 8)

Livin' in South Australia, just out from Adelaide, but originally from Fresno, CA. I'd love to see the Great Barrier Reef myself! If I ever get the chance, I'm going to your forum first to pick the brains of the experts.

Shubin said:
Shark said:
Shubin said:
G'day John, err... Shark..

Good to have you on board, so to speak.

Nice to be here, thanks! What part of Australia are you in? I've never been down your way, but it's one of my life's goals to dive the GBR. :-D 8)

Livin' in South Australia, just out from Adelaide, but originally from Fresno, CA. I'd love to see the Great Barrier Reef myself! If I ever get the chance, I'm going to your forum first to pick the brains of the experts.

Fresno, huh? That's cool! I spent 2 years after college living in the san francisco area! And now my best friend who lives right down the road from me is from Fresno. Small small world!

It's probably just the fish nut in me, but I can't imagine living IN australia and not going to the GBR. :D

Welcome! Some good shots, there. :thumbsup:

Looking forward to seeing some more of your stuff!

Most reactions

Back