Hey! I'm a prize-winning photographer!

terri

Administrator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
:D Well, not on a grand scale or anything. I participated in another arts festival over the weekend. These are typically "juried events" which means your work is being judged by people hired by the event organizers who do this kind of thing professionally (and part of the reason you have to pay to participate in these festivals - to pay them!). I never view these festivals as competitive events, as long as I sell enough to get that entry fee back and a little more, I'm happy. But you're "competing" just by virtue of setting up your booth, really.

But on Saturday, the organizer stopped by my booth to tell me the "awards presentation" was happening in an hour and that "I needed to be there". Turns out I won "2nd Place - Best of Show" for this event. There were about 50 other vendors there, other photographers, jewelers, painters, craftsmen, etc. I had to go onstage and receive a ribbon and a check for $200. :wink: They wanted me to put the ribbon on my tent, so I did and I think I made more sales after that. So I had a really cool moment and a big feeling of validation!

Oh, the first place winner was a woodworker, with these really amazing handcrafted pieces - not another photographer. :p

Karalee said:
:cheer: Thats so awesome! Congratulations I bet your stoaked

Well, I was after the initial embarrassment kind of dissolved. I don't know why it is, but I am always blushing and feeling stupid when someone says anything nice about my stuff. So having to go up on a stage and stand there to get my picture taken holding a ribbon was - supreme :blulsh2: !! I had to force myself not to scurry away but try to walk sedately. :roll:

We had anticipated a very quiet day with slow sales and it turned out to be very different. My hubby had packed the champagne in the cooler, anyway, just for fun to sip towards the end, so it felt extra special to have it. :drunk:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back