Hey look! Another C&C thread.

IcedTea

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This was my first time trying to take nice pictures with my Dad's old camera (it's an Olympus E-500). I guess its good for a beginner. If they suck, go ahead and tell me. I like photography as a hobby, I just need some tips to make my photos better.

bouys.jpg

candles.jpg

erintree.jpg

Last edited:
#1 is interesting with the different shapes and colors but as it stands right now the few of them in the closest foreground are in the shadows and not lit enough but the ones behind it and everything else have daylight. this is probably a pretty tough shot to get given where the shadows fall, so good job getting it as well as you did.

2 is a bit out of focus, as is 3 but it also looks a bit underexposed.

not bad for a first go at it. keep playing around with settings and experimenting.

#1 I kind of like the colors and shapes here, but I would have used a shallower depth of filed to allow the background to blur. As it is here, once my eye moves through the bouys it moves into the background, which detracts from the feel of the image. I would also think about what this would look like if you filled the frame with your subject.

#2 The subjext is not overly interesting, but your presentation gives it impact. I like the shallow depth of field here (it works very well for this subject), and the interesting line of the wire handle adds to this as well. Very good work with a simple subject.

#3 Not a bad Bigfoot shot! Seriously though, this one does not have a lot going for it. There is some haze o fog that lowers the contrast of this one, and there is no clear subject - the person is too small to grab much attention and the only tree that is sharp is in the dead center, which lessens the impact without anything else going on.

- Randy

This was my first time trying to take nice pictures with my Dad's old camera (it's an Olympus E-500). I guess its good for a beginner. If they suck, go ahead and tell me.
#1 - It's kinda busy, almost chaotic looking. The background doesn't add anything to the shot. It does appear to be exposed well. Shooting when the sun is high in the sky isn't the best time to take pictures. I'd like to see what this scene would look like with the sun low in the sky with warmer tones.

#2 - I like the shallow depth of field and the muted tones of this shot, but it's slight out-of-focus and I wonder how it would look shot from a lower point of view. Exposure looks good.

#3 - It's out of focus and looks flat.

I like photography as a hobby, I just need some tips to make my photos better.
Digital Photography Tips For Beginners

Digital Photography Composition Tips

Taking Better Pictures: Composition

Photo Composition - Your Photo As A Story

Good Photo Composition Is Essential

Learn Photo Composition

How To Make A Killer Photo Using 8 Simple Composition Rules

The Golden Section In Photo Composition

How To Improve Your Photography - 5 Easy Tricks

I went out and took some more shots. I hope they are improving :blushing:

postfence.jpg

sailboatsea.jpg

^^I think my CPOL Screwed with this shot.

on the second set:
first is blurry... looks like motion blur due to shaky hands.
second is interesting, although if you moved the boat to one of the lines of thirds, I'll bet it would have been even better!

new #1 nothing seems to be in focus but your exposure looks good, perhaps some camera shake? #2 is your best yet imo.. was the water really that color?

I went out and took some more shots. I hope they are improving :blushing:

postfence.jpg

sailboatsea.jpg

^^I think my CPOL Screwed with this shot.

1st one seems out of focus.

I like the 2nd one. Doesn't seem messed up?

In general: You seem to have a great eye - you've had some good ideas, you just need to work on focusing and all the settings. Once you get thta part down you're going to be taking some great shots.

This was my first time trying to take nice pictures with my Dad's old camera (it's an Olympus E-500). I guess its good for a beginner. If they suck, go ahead and tell me.
#1 - It's kinda busy, almost chaotic looking. The background doesn't add anything to the shot. It does appear to be exposed well. Shooting when the sun is high in the sky isn't the best time to take pictures. I'd like to see what this scene would look like with the sun low in the sky with warmer tones.

#2 - I like the shallow depth of field and the muted tones of this shot, but it's slight out-of-focus and I wonder how it would look shot from a lower point of view. Exposure looks good.

#3 - It's out of focus and looks flat.

I like photography as a hobby, I just need some tips to make my photos better.
Digital Photography Tips For Beginners

Digital Photography Composition Tips

Taking Better Pictures: Composition

Photo Composition - Your Photo As A Story

Good Photo Composition Is Essential

Learn Photo Composition

How To Make A Killer Photo Using 8 Simple Composition Rules

The Golden Section In Photo Composition

How To Improve Your Photography - 5 Easy Tricks

How do you find all those links?? It's amazing haha.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back