Hey Photographers!

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by evanGR, Nov 23, 2007.

1. evanGR

evanGR TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Hey guys, I'm Evan, a Greek Skate Photographer!
    I'm kindda new to both TPF and photography.

I own a Olympus C-5050 ZOOM, and i am planning to upgrade on either a NIKON D40 or a SONY Cybershot DSC-H9! Which one do you suggest?

~evan

2. RKW3

RKW3 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I'm only age 14, but I think I have persuaded my parents to buy me a used Nikon D80 for christmas. I think you should look into a D80 too, I heard it has many advantages over a D40, plus a D80 has more lens choices.

It's up to you. But I would personally try to skip over the D40/D40x series.

3. evanGR

evanGR TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    You are right, D80 has more advantages but i am not willing to pay 750-900 +lens for a begginer's camera.

4. Alex_B

Alex_B No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    welcome to the forum :)

don't know much about the cameras you mention though :(

5. Antithesis

Antithesis No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    I had a d40x for a few months, it was a wonderful little camera to learn on. The d40 I imagine is the same. You are limited to AF-S Lenses, so that kind of sucks. I think if you start with a couple of the consumer grade lenses just to learn on, you'll still get some very good pictures, the lenses just aren't rugged by any means because the build quality is very cheap.

6. evanGR

evanGR TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    so would you suggest it to me? I don't think i'll need so many lenses. I just need a Wide angle, and a fisheye lens.

7. Fullboar

Fullboar TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    If you buy the D40 you will be paying big dollars for a lens if you want it to work with AF

8. Neuner

Neuner TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I went from an Olympus c3000z to a D80 & love it. I highly recommend getting a used D80 body & then heading down to a good local shop & picking up a decent used lens or just a new 50mm/1.8. I got by real cheap. The camera was only used for a month and is in excellent condition.

9. JIP

JIP No longer a newbie, moving up!

Another vote for Nikon....

10. itoncool

itoncool TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    D40(x) has a limitation, not every lens will perform optimum on this camera, it's not the quality but the auto focus. In term of Nikkor only, just any AF-S lenses will do fine, but the rest AF lenses will not going to auto focus with D40(x), you have to do it manually. If you don't mind with this limitation then go for it.

the D80 is not a beginner camera, don't worry... (entry-level, beginner, semi-advance, professional, etc) are just how the camera maker differentiate the specs, durability, options and the material between their product, but not the image quality. Superb image quality needs more than just a camera itself.

I've seen a lot of REAL pro are still using D40 or any similar 'beginner-level' camera because of their less-weight, but the result are still as amazing as coming from their 'pro-level' camera.

11. Robp412

Robp412 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Just bought my d40 I'm pretty hafppy with it so far. Id say go for that. People will tell you otherwise its a personal opinion. If you are just starting I'd say the d40 because you will be a lot less confused with that than the 80... In my opinion...

12. smcaskil

smcaskil TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I agree with itoncool. If you don't mind the limitation the D40X offers as far as lenes, it is a good beginner camera.

Here in the states you can get a kit for the D40X now that comes with (I think) the body, 18-55mm lens, 55-200mm lens and some other accessories for around $1000.

Other smaller packages can be had for around $750.

The 55-200mm lens is around $250 with Vibration Reduction, which comes in really handy.