"Hey! Security! Can I have my Drone back"

Why should he need to ask? It should be registered by now and security can now track him down by contacting Big Brother.

What is the penalty if you're found guilty of navigation? "Reckless endangerment" seems a bit inappropriate; I'm sure he was being completely reckful.

What is the penalty if you're found guilty of navigation? "Reckless endangerment" seems a bit inappropriate; I'm sure he was being completely reckful.
I think they expel them all to Canada ?

There have been at least two times here it was on the local news that an air care flight was prevented from landing. I think that's a good reason for use of drones to be regulated - no injured person should be at risk of dying because the air care chopper can't land and get them transported to the hospital due to someone flying a drone trying to record footage of an accident.

The MSN link is to an article from a tabloid. Here's information on what happened -
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/02/05/n...er-drone-hits-empire-state-building.html?_r=0
Drone Hits Empire State Building: NYPD

Apparently it hit the building at the 40th floor and landed on a ledge/landing on the 35th floor. Not sure if it's still out there...

And it was actually 'avigation', a charge related to navigating an aircraft. Can't expect a tabloid to get it right.

There have been at least two times here it was on the local news that an air care flight was prevented from landing. I think that's a good reason for use of drones to be regulated - no injured person should be at risk of dying because the air care chopper can't land and get them transported to the hospital due to someone flying a drone trying to record footage of an accident.
Agree 100%, but something I don't get, and I mean this quite seriously is how can it? 30 seconds on YouTube will find hours of footage of the venerable old UH-1 taking off and landing in rice-paddies, swamps, desserts and a 100 other less-than-desirable locations, often while taking fire. If a 50+ year old aircraft can do that, it seems to me that a modern day aircraft should be able to deal with small pieces of plastic...

Agree 100%, but something I don't get, and I mean this quite seriously is how can it? 30 seconds on YouTube will find hours of footage of the venerable old UH-1 taking off and landing in rice-paddies, swamps, desserts and a 100 other less-than-desirable locations, often while taking fire. If a 50+ year old aircraft can do that, it seems to me that a modern day aircraft should be able to deal with small pieces of plastic...

It's due to the media tossing gasoline on the fire that is the fear of the uneducated public.

It's due to the media tossing gasoline on the fire that is the fear of the uneducated public.
Oh, stop. ;) It's not "the media." That bad, sweaty, bloated bag may deserve some knocks, but in this case that's not the cause for concern over unregulated drones. They are dangerous because they simply have no place in restricted airspace, whether it's being operated by a harmless enthusiast or by someone with, shall we say, ill motives. Whether it's commercial aircraft or medic flights, we have a right to expect anything with no business in the area be kept from the area.

Oh, stop. ;) It's not "the media." That bad, sweaty, bloated bag may deserve some knocks, but in this case that's not the cause for concern over unregulated drones. They are dangerous because they simply have no place in restricted airspace, whether it's being operated by a harmless enthusiast or by someone with, shall we say, ill motives. Whether it's commercial aircraft or medic flights, we have a right to expect anything with no business in the area be kept from the area.
So where does 99% of the population get its information about drones?

The media.

And what does the media plaster all over the evening news? Certainly not hundreds of stories about perfectly safe, sane and uneventful flights. You'll never see "Breaking News: Eight-year-old flies drone for 3 minutes, does not crash or kill amyone!" breaking into the afternoon soaps and game shows.

The media.

And what does the media plaster all over the evening news? Certainly not hundreds of stories about perfectly safe, sane and uneventful flights. You'll never see "Breaking News: Eight-year-old flies drone for 3 minutes, does not crash or kill amyone!" breaking into the afternoon soaps and game shows.
As it should be. It's not the average 8 year old who gives concern. :tongue-44:

From what I understand John there's a risk of trying to land the chopper because it could hit the drone - the pilot/police officers may not know who's operating it (yet) or which direction it may go next for the helicopter to be able to avoid it. I think that if the drone would hit one of the chopper blades it could cause the helicopter to go off course or come crashing down. Or if a blade clips the drone it could send the drone crashing down into an emergency situation below (where obviously there could be ambulances, officers stopping or directing traffic, as well as whoever was injured).

I live on the fringes of a major city and it's happened at least 2-3 times that I remember seeing on the news. I know the air care chopper didn't land when it arrived - from what I remember it had to wait until they could locate whoever was operating the drone and get it brought down. And if the air care chopper has been sent there's someone in probably a critical life threatening medical situation where time is essential in getting them to the hospital.

I think if we have to get driver's training and get a license to operate a motor vehicle, then the same type thing should be required to operate an unmanned aerial vehicle. And there probably need to be (and will eventually be developed) more specific guidelines on use along with what is currently in current rules and regs - such as avoiding the scene of an accident, avoiding certain areas and airspace. I think it's already illegal to fly one over a stadium during a game/event because some already have crashed into stands during a game.

The media.

As it should be. It's not the average 8 year old who gives concern. :tongue-44:
So what age group should be a concern?

It's like that with everything as far as what ends up on the news... we won't see a story that little johnny and suzy went to school, did their school work, ate lunch, played on the playground, got on the bus and went home. Breaking news - suzy didn't finish her sandwich!! johnny stepped on a crack in the sidewalk! and it didn't break his mother's back! lol

Most reactions

New Topics

Back