"Hey! Security! Can I have my Drone back"

It may be that it's to "protect" the commercial interests of the sporting organizations, but the no drone rules do exist.

Quoted from the FAA site (my link above) - emphasis is mine:

PURSUANT TO 14 CFR SECTION 99.7, SPECIAL SECURITY INSTRUCTIONS, COMMENCING ONE HOUR BEFORE THE SCHEDULED TIME OF THE EVENT UNTIL ONE HOUR AFTER THE END OF THE EVENT. ALL AIRCRAFT OPERATIONS; INCLUDING PARACHUTE JUMPING, UNMANNED AIRCRAFT AND REMOTE CONTROLLED AIRCRAFT, ARE PROHIBITED WITHIN A 1410271420-PERM END PART 1 OF 3 FDC 4/3621 FDC PART 2 OF 3 SPECIAL 3NMR UP TO AND INCLUDING 3000FT AGL OF ANY STADIUM HAVING A SEATING CAPACITY OF 30,000 OR MORE PEOPLE WHERE EITHER A REGULAR OR POST SEASON MAJOR LEAGUE BASEBALL, NATIONAL FOOTBALL LEAGUE, OR NCAA DIVISION ONE FOOTBALL GAME IS OCCURRING. THIS NOTAM ALSO APPLIES TO NASCAR SPRINT CUP, INDY CAR, AND CHAMP SERIES RACES EXCLUDING QUALIFYING AND PRE-RACE EVENTS. FLIGHTS CONDUCTED FOR OPERATIONAL PURPOSES OF ANY EVENT, STADIUM OR VENUE AND BROADCAST COVERAGE FOR THE BROADCAST RIGHTS HOLDER ARE AUTHORIZED WITH AN APPROVED AIRSPACE WAIVER.

If I am reading this correctly, remote controlled aircraft are prohibited from being flown 3 Nautical Miles (a little less than 3-1/2 miles) of any major league baseball or football and NCAA Division 1 (the bigger schools?) stadium with a seating capacity of 30,000 from an hour before a game, up to an hour after the game.

I guess open-air hockey, soccer, smaller schools and minor leagues are OK (at least in the US). I could see where you could get into some trespassing issues, depending on the location, but that's not the same thing as a NFZ.

As far as tomorrow's game, it looks like the NFZ is 32 miles. New FAA video explains that the Super Bowl is a No Drone Zone

Just a technicality here: What I own and use is defined by the FAA as an Unmanned Aircraft System.

So now the issue becomes whether the quoted 'code' applies to me.

I would say yes: "Parachute jumping, unmanned aircraft and remote controlled aircraft." Again, it looks like practices outside the one hour before/after window would be OK. I would also think things like concerts would not fall under this code - only MLB, NFL, NCAA/I and the three motor race events.

It may be that it's to "protect" the commercial interests of the sporting organizations, but the no drone rules do exist.

PURSUANT TO 14 CFR SECTION 99.7, SPECIAL SECURITY INSTRUCTIONS, COMMENCING ONE HOUR BEFORE THE SCHEDULED TIME OF THE EVENT UNTIL ONE HOUR AFTER THE END OF THE EVENT. ALL AIRCRAFT OPERATIONS; INCLUDING PARACHUTE JUMPING, UNMANNED AIRCRAFT AND REMOTE CONTROLLED AIRCRAFT, ARE PROHIBITED WITHIN A 1410271420-PERM END PART 1 OF 3 FDC 4/3621 FDC PART 2 OF 3 SPECIAL 3NMR UP TO AND INCLUDING 3000FT AGL OF ANY STADIUM HAVING A SEATING CAPACITY OF 30,000 OR MORE PEOPLE WHERE EITHER A REGULAR OR POST SEASON MAJOR LEAGUE BASEBALL, NATIONAL FOOTBALL LEAGUE, OR NCAA DIVISION ONE FOOTBALL GAME IS OCCURRING. THIS NOTAM ALSO APPLIES TO NASCAR SPRINT CUP, INDY CAR, AND CHAMP SERIES RACES EXCLUDING QUALIFYING AND PRE-RACE EVENTS. FLIGHTS CONDUCTED FOR OPERATIONAL PURPOSES OF ANY EVENT, STADIUM OR VENUE AND BROADCAST COVERAGE FOR THE BROADCAST RIGHTS HOLDER ARE AUTHORIZED WITH AN APPROVED AIRSPACE WAIVER.

If I am reading this correctly, remote controlled aircraft are prohibited from being flown 3 Nautical Miles (a little less than 3-1/2 miles) of any major league baseball or football and NCAA Division 1 (the bigger schools?) stadium with a seating capacity of 30,000 from an hour before a game, up to an hour after the game.

I guess open-air hockey, soccer, smaller schools and minor leagues are OK (at least in the US). I could see where you could get into some trespassing issues, depending on the location, but that's not the same thing as a NFZ.

As far as tomorrow's game, it looks like the NFZ is 32 miles. New FAA video explains that the Super Bowl is a No Drone Zone

Just a technicality here: What I own and use is defined by the FAA as an Unmanned Aircraft System.

I would say yes: "Parachute jumping, unmanned aircraft and remote controlled aircraft." Again, it looks like practices outside the one hour before/after window would be OK. I would also think things like concerts would not fall under this code - only MLB, NFL, NCAA/I and the three motor race events.

Sadly, it will probably take 10 years, 500 court cases and 1800 appeals to decide the matter.

Actually "They" can't. "They" are not a judicial body. All "They" can do, and have not done so, is to ask for an investigation and request charges be filed. Something "They" did not do.

Sadly, it will probably take 10 years, 500 court cases and 1800 appeals to decide the matter.

You are so right. It's a shame that, like in many things, a hand full of bungholes can ruin things for everyone.

From what I understand John there's a risk of trying to land the chopper because it could hit the drone - the pilot/police officers may not know who's operating it (yet) or which direction it may go next for the helicopter to be able to avoid it. I think that if the drone would hit one of the chopper blades it could cause the helicopter to go off course or come crashing down. Or if a blade clips the drone it could send the drone crashing down into an emergency situation below (where obviously there could be ambulances, officers stopping or directing traffic, as well as whoever was injured).

I live on the fringes of a major city and it's happened at least 2-3 times that I remember seeing on the news. I know the air care chopper didn't land when it arrived - from what I remember it had to wait until they could locate whoever was operating the drone and get it brought down. And if the air care chopper has been sent there's someone in probably a critical life threatening medical situation where time is essential in getting them to the hospital.

I think if we have to get driver's training and get a license to operate a motor vehicle, then the same type thing should be required to operate an unmanned aerial vehicle. And there probably need to be (and will eventually be developed) more specific guidelines on use along with what is currently in current rules and regs - such as avoiding the scene of an accident, avoiding certain areas and airspace. I think it's already illegal to fly one over a stadium during a game/event because some already have crashed into stands during a game.

So then will we need a license for remote control cars? Need a license to drive golf carts and dirt bikes and any ATVs? I mean I know what you're getting at, but licensed or not, I don't see the difference in what people are going to do. Let's say they require a license; how exactly do they regulate that? And is this an actual operator license that requires testing, or more like a fishing or hunting license (which is basically what the registration is). Licensing would be far more than cumbersome and unnecessary, IMO.

I could see the chopper not wanting to land, mostly because if that UAS does chip off one of the props, that chopper may not stay in the air. Then again, most drones wouldn't last in a chopper's prop wash.

There are guidelines for stadiums by the way. This should help educate some people in here: Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) Frequently Asked Questions
I'm by no means an expert either, so don't take it that way.

Most reactions

Back