Hey Toby!

Discussion in 'Off Topic Chat' started by Sharkbait, May 24, 2004.

1. Sharkbait

Sharkbait New Member

Gallery:
    Ratings:
    +16 / 0
    I'm done.

:mrgreen: :alien: :alien: :cheers:
  2. Osmer_Toby

Osmer_Toby New Member

Gallery:
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    aaaaahhh you suck!:):p;)

congrats, man! gonna celebrate?
  3. Sharkbait

Sharkbait New Member

Gallery:
    Ratings:
    +16 / 0
    Just packing up my room now (we're all moving classrooms, since our 6th grade is pulling out to the new intermediate school). Got some more packing to do today, a meeting tomrorow morning, and then thursday when my buddy's school gets done, we plan on being very loaded and watching some soccer by 1pm. :-D
  4. Osmer_Toby

Osmer_Toby New Member

Gallery:
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    you go, brutha! :cheers:

i'm countin' down the days til june 17....
  5. voodoocat

voodoocat ))<>((

Gallery:
    Ratings:
    +16 / 0
    Where is that flipoff emoticon? :p
  6. terri

terri Administrator Staff Member

Gallery:
    Ratings:
    +1,450 / 0
    I dunno, but I'd surely like it right about now. Maybe Chase can get us one in time for Toby's last day of class. :?

Back to the old grind here...... (sigh)
  7. Sharkbait

Sharkbait New Member

Gallery:
    Ratings:
    +16 / 0
    Hey, I'll be thinking about you all flipping me off when...hey in fact, I think I'll call getting flipped off the 'beer salute' from now on, because that's what I'll be having when I think about you flipping me off. :mrgreen:

Hang in there Tobe...your countdown has begun!!
  8. Osmer_Toby

Osmer_Toby New Member

Gallery:
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    :bounce: :bounce: i can't wait :bounce: :bounce:

i can't wait :bounce: :bounce: i can't wait!!! :bounce: :bounce:
  9. terri

Gallery:
    Ratings:
    +1,450 / 0
    Stop whining! Go teach those kids!!! :whip:
  10. manda

manda instigator of pottymouthedness

Gallery:
    Ratings:
    +10 / 0
    OMG
    Are you guys on summer holidays????!!!!!!!!!!
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOo
    I am smack bang in the dead of the school year.
    ASsessment/report/parent interview time...BAH it sucks
  11. Sharkbait

Sharkbait New Member

Gallery:
    Ratings:
    +16 / 0
    So manda, pardon my american ignorance, but are you guys on the same type of calendar we are--roughly 9 months on, 3 off? If so, when is your big break?

I've always been curious about school years in other parts of the world.
  12. manda

Gallery:
    Ratings:
    +10 / 0
    3 months at once?...we get 6 weeks in the summer.

Term 1: Late Jan - April(Easter) 1-2 weeks
    Term 2: April/May- July (mid yr break) 2 weeks
    Term 3: July- October 2 week break
    Term 4: October- late December (which is summer and Xmas) 6 weeks

We actually work it with the calendar year lol

Basically 10/11 week terms. Its only the beginning of Week 5 at present Ho hum...
  13. Sharkbait

Sharkbait New Member

Gallery:
    Ratings:
    +16 / 0
    Ohhh, yeah, you guys go year-round. Has it always been that way in Australia? There's a growing push in some areas in the states to go year-round. Some love it, some hate it. Personally I would hate going year-round. I really need that big chunk of down-time to recharge. I'd get burnt out in a couple of years without summer vacation.
  14. Osmer_Toby

Osmer_Toby New Member

Gallery:
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    amen. i second that- but i'm afraid the momentum is building for the year-round model... :(
  15. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member

Gallery:
    Ratings:
    +1,721 / 0
    You teachers make me sick... :roll: :wink:

Two or three months off (for most of you)...every year!!! Do you get paid for that time? I know teachers here do.

Try getting a regular job. I'll soon be getting three weeks vacation per year and it will be years until I can reach the 4 week vacation level. This only goes on for...oh 38 more years or so. :shock:

Boy...that's depressing to think about
  16. Osmer_Toby

Osmer_Toby New Member

Gallery:
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    no, that's a common misconception here. we don't get paid year round. don't know about john, but i doubt he does, either.

picture this for a minute: 115 13/14 year olds, 6.5 hours per day, 182 days per year. that's 136,045 hours, per year, of direct responsibility for a teenager. that averages out to 372 hours per day, including weekends and holidays.

we don't need the summer off. we need to be institutionalized. :p
  17. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member

Gallery:
    Ratings:
    +1,721 / 0
    My girlfriend's sister and brother-in-law are both teachers. They each have about 4 years experience and the both make around $50K/year (CDN) They get July & August off, with pay. They get a lump payment for July & August in June before their time off.

I know it's an important & stressful job but it looks pretty sweet from where I'm standing. Especially when I think of how lazy most of my teachers were.

The worst part is that teachers here are always complaining about something. Class sizes are too big, not enough funding...etc. Hey, everybody I know could complain about their jobs...it's just that most of us don't have a public union to complain for us... :roll:

OK...I'll stop ranting now. I'm not against teachers...I'm just bitter that I don't have a job solving crimes on a tropical island.
  18. terri

Gallery:
    Ratings:
    +1,450 / 0
    I don't begrudge the teachers their down time, and I am certain they deserve each and every MNIUTE of it.....dealing with those little monsters. We all have stress, but not the stress of dealing with a roomful of kids, AND their parents, who are for the most part happy to shove off that responsibility onto someone else. UGH! I couldn't do that job. I'd ***** slap them all into the middle of next week.

That said, I would still welcome the year round classes...because those kids need it. It would benefit the kids, not necessarily the teachers. Although, I would think it might be less stressful to have more time time pack in the same lesson assigned for that academic grade. A couple of the teachers I've talked to have complained of feeling that time pressure - getting it all in. It seems like a no-brainer, but I'm outside of the system, so I can't say.
  19. manda

Gallery:
    Ratings:
    +10 / 0
    Sweet? Come do it for a while. Yes, everyone has stressful jobs. Yes, teachers agree to do the job when they start. Most however, have no idea what they are getting themselves in for, and what is expected of teachers for the amount of money we are paid is ridiculous. I challenge anyone who says that teachers are lazy, whingers and thinks its a sweet deal, to come try it out for one day.
    I just wrote a huge list of things you could do before you even start teaching at 9am but it would bore you so i deleted it.

Don't you think there is a reason teachers complain? Its because we are educating your children, our future, if we don't have things neccessary to run a school, then your children can not be taught.
    We don't whinge for the sake of whinging, we demand these things be amended and made a priority by our greedy governments because our job is one of the most important ones in the workforce.
    Teaching is a vocation and is therefore full of passionate people who care about the education and well being of children. We argue and fight for funding so that your children and our future can all receive the best education that is possible.

Class sizes...so the children get the best education possible, not so we can sit back and have a break. With smaller class sizes, teachers will actually do more work because more work will be ploughed through each day and more individualised programs would be implemented.

Not enough funding....so the children get the best education possible, not because we want more money to have a bigger steak lunch. Funding means resources, funding means extra support for kids with language, learning, speech, hearing, and ESL problems.

If teachers didn't complain that the conditions in schools were good enough, then I'd be worried. Teachers complaining means they are doing their utmost to make sure the children they teach are exposed to the best education that they can receive.

Get used to it, because unless governments wake up and see that education should be a top priority, teachers are going to keep on complaining until children are given the learning environments that they deserve.
  20. Sharkbait

Sharkbait New Member

Gallery:
    Ratings:
    +16 / 0
    Well said, mandababe.

To address the paying thing. Here in Indiana our contract runs year round, but we only get paid for the time we're in session. There's an option (that most people take) to spread their paychecks out over the full 12 months though. So I get paid for 9 months, but it's spread over 12. Weird, I know.

As far as it being a 'cush' job. In some respects it is. I don't have to get filthy and exhausted working in a steel mill or something like that. But people that complain about teachers having it easy think that we walk in the door with the kids, are there from 8 till 3, and go home, then have all summer to relax. Don't I wish. My day often runs from 5am until 9pm with 20 minutes to wolf down my lunch, usually while tutoring some kid who could really give a rat's ass about literature. Most teachers are expected to run at least one extracurricular activity (and with the stipend we get for them, I usually make less than the local fast food fly-slinger for the hours I put in), which keeps us at school late in the evening. I coached volleyball a few years ago, and I realized that between mid july and late november, I did not see my house in the daylight. Gone before dawn, home approaching midnight.

Teachers go through rigorous licening procedures, very similar (different content, obviously) to doctors, layers, etc. Yet we, on average, make 1/4 to 1/3 of what they do. My wife got a 4 yr degree and walked out of school to several $50K plus offers. I walked out of college, degree in hand, and had to shell out several hundred dollars to take entire batteries of tests, just to qualify for a probational licensure. Then I had to fight and claw for a $22K a year job.

:irked: