Hey, which one would you decide on?

David A

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have been reading alot lately and am trying to decide between the Canon EOS 350D and the Nikon D70.

I already own a Nikon lense from my N75 but I really just like the Canon more. I searched your forum for some topics that were already like this to get some possible pre-post feedback, but I couldn't find anything.

Anyway, I have read that the D70 is a bit sharper in most areas. I just can't get past the specs on the 350D and the fact that I can buy it for about 100 dollars less.

My question to you guys is, which one would you go with?

I already have a Nikon lense and say I did purchase the D70 by itself, I would save the 100+ dollars that I would have to pay if I got the 350D with the lense...

So, a Nikon D70 with a 20-80mm lense (but I would ofcourse get a better one as soon as I have the money), or a Canon 350D with the lense that comes with it. (Not sure what model)

I don't want to insult anyone, but incase anyone doesn't know, the Canon 350D = Digital Rebel XT.

Thanks for the help guys...I really need it.

(Lastly, I like to shoot ALL kinds of pictures. Mostly cars and nature...I hope that may help you experienced guys point me in the right direction.) THANKS! :D

ThatCameraThingy said:
I'll go Canon. but that is because i own Canon stuff and I am definatly biased. Both are good Cameras.

Hanno
Thanks...I don't know...I like the Canon too. I love my N75 but I think the Canon would just be a better camera for what I need.

I've had my D70 for over a year now and am VERY happy with it. The kit lens is excellent. I've never used Canon, so I can't compare, but one big thumbs up for the D70!

Thanks for the info....

(Sorry mods, I didn't see this section of the forum...thanks for moving it to the appropriate section...)

Have you tried them both out yet? I shoot with both the D70 and the Canon 10D and they are both very nice cameras. If it was me making the decision I would go with the Nikon since you already have the lenses for it. Plus, Canon seems to have a habit of changing lens mounts which is a pain if you invest into their lenses and then want to upgrade to another model later on. Some people will love the Canon, others the Nikon but I would really recommend going to a store and trying them out. Even though the Rebel and the 10D are very similar, I like the feel of the 10D's body, but on the Rebel's. I found it to be very lightweight and it didn't seem as solidly built as the 10D or the D70. Good luck with your decision, both are really great cameras!

AlisonPower said:
Have you tried them both out yet? I shoot with both the D70 and the Canon 10D and they are both very nice cameras. If it was me making the decision I would go with the Nikon since you already have the lenses for it. Plus, Canon seems to have a habit of changing lens mounts which is a pain if you invest into their lenses and then want to upgrade to another model later on. Some people will love the Canon, others the Nikon but I would really recommend going to a store and trying them out. Even though the Rebel and the 10D are very similar, I like the feel of the 10D's body, but on the Rebel's. I found it to be very lightweight and it didn't seem as solidly built as the 10D or the D70. Good luck with your decision, both are really great cameras!

Do you think that with the Nikon I would get a better quality camera? I do agree with you that it it would be nice because I already have a Nikon lense. Ahh, this is so hard to decide!

This is probably one of the most asked questions in the last year...from what I've gathered...they are pretty similar in most aspects. I think the edge may go to the 350D because it newer and has more mega pixels. However, the D70 is pretty darn good.

I would also suggest that you go to a store and hold them both. I personally think the 350D is too small and I don't like the layout. That's one reason I got the 20D rather then the 350D.

Cesium 911 said:
Do you think that with the Nikon I would get a better quality camera? I do agree with you that it it would be nice because I already have a Nikon lense. Ahh, this is so hard to decide!

It's like comparing a red apple to a green apple. Both excellent fruit but with different tastes. It's impossible to say if one is better than the other, they are just different. I can tell you that image quality wise I can't tell a difference from the D70 and the 10D when I'm editing photos from weddings.

AlisonPower said:
It's like comparing a red apple to a green apple. Both excellent fruit but with different tastes. It's impossible to say if one is better than the other, they are just different. I can tell you that image quality wise I can't tell a difference from the D70 and the 10D when I'm editing photos from weddings.

You guys keep saying 10D...I'm not to familiar with that model. (Honestly I did not know it existed) Anyway, what about the image quality between the D70 and the 350D?

EDIT- After some research, I found out that the 10D has been discontinued...

The 10D is the big sister of the Rebel. The 20D is the big sister of the Rebel XT. I've also shot with the 20D. I wasn't suggesting that you buy the 10D, just that in essence it's like comparing the Rebel to the D70 :)

Cesium 911 said:
EDIT- After some research, I found out that the 10D has been discontinued...
Yes, it has been discontinued since Canon likes to introduce new models every two weeks.

Her point I think was, it does not matter which one you pick. When you download it to your computer the technical results are all usually pretty much the same. If you are looking for an in-depth comparison dpreview.com is an excellent site.

Appropriate tool for a particular job is essential but it is just a part of the game. ;)
By the way, I would pick the 350D, since I have canon glasses.

Good luck! :thumbsup:

danalec99 said:
Yes, it has been discontinued since Canon likes to introduce new models every two weeks.

Her point I think was, it does not matter which one you pick. When you download it to your computer the technical results are all usually pretty much the same. If you are looking for an in-depth comparison dpreview.com is an excellent site.

:biglaugh: That make me laugh out loud, because it's so true! Canon does like to change it up a LOT which can be frustrating as a consumer.

And yes, that was my point. I was just about to come here and suggest dpreview.com for a side by side comparison.

I've used both and like the XT better...however you should try your hands on them and see what you think. The XT is much smaller, but packs more punch IMO. I'd say if you've got the lenses for the nikon go for it, and this is coming form someone with a die hard Canon fan :)

if you think you are still going to be shooting film, then go with nikon since you already have a 35mm body and most (DX lenses will only work on digital) of your future lenses would work on both your film and digital cameras. but if you are switching compleatly to digital canon would be the better choice. my personal opinion is that nikon makes a better camera but canon has the advantage in their CMOS sensors, especialy in regaurds to noise at higher iso's. i prefer the D70 to the 300D(or 350D) any day, but i also prefer the pictures produced by the 300D to those taken with a D70. that being said, both are good companies who make excelent film and digital cameras, you cant go wronge with either.

Most reactions

Back