Hey

laam999

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi, I'm both new to the forum and new to SLR photography - I understand most of the sieeting on my camera and I am learning more every time i pick up my camera

my main question is how to use the 1/4000 shutterspeed, or anything above 1/200 really, everytime i have tried they come out almost complealty black even in a fully lit room with the iso at 1600 and f3.5

any tips/advice on what im doing wrong (I currently would like to see a running tap stopped perfectly 1/200 is good but i would like it faster)

thanks

-laam-

Why would you need to use such a high shutter speed? What are you trying to achieve? Are you shooting sports?

You can't just pick settings randomly like that (or ones that you want to use).

You need a certain amount of light to make an exposure and three things combine to make up your exposure value. The shutter speed, the aperture and the ISO.

If your shutter speed was 1/2000...that is a very short time to allow light into the camera. You would need a very bright light or else a very large aperture or a very high ISO.

Your camera has a built-in light meter. When you half press the shutter release button...the meter is activated and the camera will give you settings based on the light levels it sees (in any of the auto modes). This is your exposure value. If you want a faster shutter speed than that...you will have to compensate by either opening the aperture (smaller F number) or using a higher ISO (more digital noise). Of course, there is a limit to each setting.

A time when you might need such a fast shutter speed, is when you have a whole lot of light...say if you were shooting into the sun.

I was mainly asking because I would like to stop water that is flowing, for example, from a tap. 1/200 does this pretty well but i figured faster speeds would show more detail.

I have spent spent about an hour playing with my camera in my room (I do this a lot since its new and want to learn to use the manual settings as soon as I can) and I have another quick question if its ok.

Is there anyway to shoot in back and white but allow one colour to remain on the image? ie. a black and white photo but red shows up in colour. If I cant shoot like this would a program like photoshop allow me to do this? I currently use the programs i got with the camera and dont really know about editing my photos.

My camera is a 350d that was bought for me for my 21st just so you know what im working with.

Thanks

"Is there anyway to shoot in back and white but allow one colour to remain on the image?"

Not as far as I know. You will need program like photoshop to accomplish this task by creating mask layers.

laam, I think mike pretty much covered it for you. You could consider using flash as well. Selective coloring is done using software. It's not possible in camera.

Welcome to the forum

Most reactions

Back