Hi All....

Bolthead

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Noobee here, glad I found this forum, now I'm hoping someone can answer a question for me.

I'm picking up a Nikon D-3100 next week sometime, I currently have a Nikon SB-15 Speedlight and was wondering if this flash would be compatible with that hot shoe?

Thanks.

Sorry for the size, I just got this camera and still messing with it. thanks in advance.

DSC_0024.jpg

DSC_0022.jpg

sorry for the bump, but......

That flash should work in the flash's 'A' mode (camera is in manual mode) or in the flash's 'M' mode (camera is again in manual mode). It will not be compatible with your camera in TTL mode. Your camera use iTTL and will not communicate it's exposure information to that flash.

That flash should work in the flash's 'A' mode (camera is in manual mode) or in the flash's 'M' mode (camera is again in manual mode). It will not be compatible with your camera in TTL mode. Your camera use iTTL and will not communicate it's exposure information to that flash.

When I tried it in the A mode, and the M mode, everything was a white out. Is there a difference between the A1 and A2 ? Also, would an adapter help me to use the TTL? Thanks Patrice.

When I tried it in the A mode, and the M mode, everything was a white out. Is there a difference between the A1 and A2 ? Also, would an adapter help me to use the TTL? Thanks Patrice.

The A1 and A2 modes probably refer to two separate auto ranges for the flash. Pick one for the average distance at which you are shooting and set your lens to the appropriate aperture. The correct aperture will be indicated on the dial on the side/top of the flash. Don't forget to have your shutter speed at or lower than your flash sync speed. As you probably figured out by now your camera will have to used in manual mode in order to have a better chance of all this working.

There is no adaptor made that I know of that will make this flash work in iTTL which is what your camera uses. These older flashes metered the light being reflected off the film when the exposure was being made. The nikon iTTL system determines flash exposure with a pre-flash, ie: before the exposure is made.

The reason your shots are blown is very likely because your aperture was too large.

Nikon SB-15/17 - Instruction Manual

The A1 and A2 modes probably refer to two separate auto ranges for the flash. Pick one for the average distance at which you are shooting and set your lens to the appropriate aperture. The correct aperture will be indicated on the dial on the side/top of the flash. Don't forget to have your shutter speed at or lower than your flash sync speed. As you probably figured out by now your camera will have to used in manual mode in order to have a better chance of all this working.

There is no adaptor made that I know of that will make this flash work in iTTL which is what your camera uses. These older flashes metered the light being reflected off the film when the exposure was being made. The nikon iTTL system determines flash exposure with a pre-flash, ie: before the exposure is made.

The reason your shots are blown is very likely because your aperture was too large.

Nikon SB-15/17 - Instruction Manual

thanks a bunch, I'll mess around with it, btw the camera in question that I'm using is the d-3100.

Works like a charm Patrice. Thanks for all your help, also for the flash manual. ;)

You don't have all the integration of a dedicated iTTL flash but you can still do everything you need to. You control the balance of ambient light through your shutter speed and you control flash compensation by fiddling with the ASA (ISO) setting on the flash. Of course you can still take complete control by having both your camera and flash set to manual.

Have fun.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back