Hi everybody! I have no idea what I'm doing!

Vic Vinegar

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi! I will just get down to business. I see things I want to photograph in the world. I want another hobby. Therefore A+B= me wanting to buy a used camera for about $200ish from my local camera store.

So what do I need to know? What do I need to look out for when buying a camera? What traps do people usually fall into? What items do I need?

Last edited:
You have your budget so:
As in most everything else, you get what you pay for. In this case, most of the cameras in the price range (Nikon, Canon, etc) will have the same features.

Look for a few that are in your budget, and pick them up - whichever feels best in your hands is probably the one to buy.

For the SLRs (including the digital variety) most of the investment is in the lenses. A used SLR may not include the lens -- just be aware of that.

Eventually you will want a decent tripod, but for starters, a body and regular zoom "kit" lens would be a good start.

Thanks for the reply! So what is the going rate for a lens? I saw a used Rebel T3 for $150 at my local camera store. The camera is around $400 new online. I am assuming it won't come with a lens.

Are the lenses standardized to fit regardless of brand? I do computers and with computers, form factor is the same regardless of brand.

I recently picked up a used 55-200 zoom (longer of the Nikon kit lenses) for about $120.

Each camera maker has their own lens mount. Nikon lenses won't fit Canon cameras, etc, without adapters.
The Nikon lens mount ("F" mount) has not really changed since 1959, though there are now electrical connections. Almost any Nikon lens will fit on a modern Nikon SLR and work, though there may be some limitations (such as no auto focus or metering). My dSLR is 7 years old but I have a couple of lenses from the 1980s that I regularly use on it. I understand Canon changed their mount, though I don't recall the specifics - I'm sure a Canon person will chime in with the info.

Go to the Adorama, B&H Photo & Video or KEH websites and look through the used department (all of KEH is used) and you can get an idea of what the lenses are going for.

Awesome. You have been a great help. Thanks.

Thanks for the reply! So what is the going rate for a lens? I saw a used Rebel T3 for $150 at my local camera store. The camera is around $400 new online. I am assuming it won't come with a lens.

Are the lenses standardized to fit regardless of brand? I do computers and with computers, form factor is the same regardless of brand.
There is something to be said for supporting your local camera store, but you should still investigate what is available online.

Snowbear has listed three excellent sources for used equipment. At first it will seem like too much information with no logical path for making a decision, but eventually things will begin to make sense.

If the local RebelT3 is shown with a lens, then you should assume that lens is included. The "original" lens it came with is probably the one you get as a used setup. They're not totally bad, and you can learn quite a bit from an inexpensive kit as you first start out. Learning the basics will be the same with the cheap camera as with an expensive camera.

For the type of photography you want to do, look for a short-to-mid-range zoom, say something like the 18-55mm. As you progress in the hobby and save up more money, then you can start looking at different lenses for specialized photography.

Besides; there are other things you will want to spend money on, such as a tripod, a more useful flash, etc.

BTW: you won't really need to bolt a tripod to the deck to do that series. Just stand in the same place each time, say in the corner of the railing, for instance, and the pictures will all turn out looking like they were shot from the same position.

Thanks for your input. I'm going to call my store and ask what the cameras come with and then if it's ok I want to know what you guys think about it.

update: He said however the cameras come in is how they go out depending on features and parts. The 18-55mm lens is typically $120

Last edited:
...and don't forget about the Canon 'Nifty-Fifty'. Considered by almost all to be the best valued lens on the market. Around $125 new, and $60-70 used. Fits all Canons.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Thanks for your input. I'm going to call my store and ask what the cameras come with and then if it's ok I want to know what you guys think about it.

update: He said however the cameras come in is how they go out depending on features and parts. The 18-55mm lens is typically $120
I know I said it's nice to support your local B&M store, but IMO you can find the same equipment for less money online. He is asking quite a lot for a used lens. Does this deal at least include a 30-day warranty? If not, I'd definitely check some deal online.

I know I said it's nice to support your local B&M store, but IMO you can find the same equipment for less money online. He is asking quite a lot for a used lens. Does this deal at least include a 30-day warranty? If not, I'd definitely check some deal online.

I bookmarked that site you linked under this comment. I think I want to buy the camera itself in person but any lenses or accessories I would definitely consider buying online. He said everything comes with a 30 day warranty and they have 1 year warranties for $40 on things that cost $250 which I probably won't buy. If cameras are anything like other electronics, if it survives 30 days it'll probably survive past the 1 year warranty. But I don't know if that logic applies to cameras though.

My dad was into photography for a long time and he listed a few places around us that sell used cameras so I'm going to check them all out before I buy.

Patrick, I think we all appreciate your enthusiasm ... but if your asking "What do I need to know?" in regards to photography (as opposed to equipment) ... my smarta$$ answer is everything. Just remember that photography is as much a craft as it is a science. Reading about throwing a ceramic vase or painting a watercolor ... reading how to do it is much different than the execution. By all means read and read ... then armed with your new camera shoot and shoot and shoot. Practice makes perfect. You will benefit from taking a class at Community College or Adult School.

Most reactions

Back