hi from Canada (Edmonton, Alberta) ...

Ronny-B

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I got into photography when I was in the 7th grade, (1958) I think. I started by buying a little Kodak booklet on how to develop your film and make contact prints ... can anyone remember what the Kodak contact printing paper was called in the '60s ? At that time, the camera I used was some sort of 620 folding Kodak (6x9) camera. Later I joined both local camera clubs in the town of Red Deer, Alberta ... where I lived at that time. My next camera was a second hand Braun Paxette, which I mostly shot Kodachrome II in. My light meter was the Sekonic Microlite. From that, I jumped to a brand new Nikon F Photomic (external CdS meter). I was in grade 12 at this time and spent most of my summer vacation part time job income on that baby ! I had the 50mm f1.4 Nikkor ... and added an amazing 5 lenses: 8mm f8 Fisheye Nikkor, 21mm f4 Nikkor (external finder on rewind crank), 32mm f2 Nikkor, 105mm F2.5 Nikkor, and 200mm f4 Nikkor ... added all at once ... too quickly ... it was overkill !! I got them because a friend was touring Asia with a church group and they managed to send back a shipment to me from Hong Kong. At that time prices in Hong Kong were cheaper than in Tokyo ... and about 1/2.5th (2/5ths or 40%) of the price of the same items in Canada ! Don't ask me how I financed the purchase ... ever borrow from each parent without telling the other that you had borrowed from the other parent ? Fortunately my parents were very supportive of their nerd son !

Following a couple of years working after graduating from high school (and a disastrous year at college), I flew to Tokyo on a lark ... almost - and stayed in Asia for the next 24 years. At one point I had 4 Nikons and 10 lenses (2 "F's and an SP and a black S2).

Currently I have no decent 35mm film camera ( a Minolta SRT-super with non-functioning light meter and questionable shutter speeds?) ... and bought a Nikon CoolPix 5000 (and 19mm aux. lens) about a year and a half ago, which I am currently enjoying very much. I like people-in-landscape, landscape, architecture, portraiture, macro, self-portraits, etc. etc.

Whew !

-Ron Snider-
Edmonton

Welcome aboard Ron and look forward to seeing some of your posts!

:shock: Wow! Quite a Nikon buff!

Meanwhile, welcome here and enjoy your stay! :lol:

Good to have another Canuck along, and I won't hold the whole Nikon thing against you! :)

Thanks for all the warm welcome messages !! :)

BTW, the Kokdak contact printing paper I asked about, was "Velox" ... i'm pretty sure !

And my first Nikon lenses included the 35mm f2 ... not the non-existent 32mm ;-)

-Ron-
Edmonton

Welcome Ronny,

Nice to have more Edmontonians around here.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back