Hi! I'm new to the photo forum!! I'd love advice of any kind!

andyneal331

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello all!!! I finally decided to find a forum to see what all advice people have to offer to me and to get multiple opinions!! My husband bought me a Nikon D90 about a year ago that I LOVE. We have an 18 month old little boy (who is hard to catch on camera right now because he runs EVERYWHERE..he's NEVER still enough!! I feel like I miss out on a lot of good pictures). Anyways, with my camera came the 18-105mm lens which I use sometimes, but mostly my 50mm f1.8 stays on there. I love the bokeh, but have been kicking myself in the tail for not getting the 1.4 instead of the 1.8. But as a stay at home Mom and Wife, WHEN, IF EVER we have extra money.. it doesn't usually get spent on things like camera lenses. :thumbdown: So I opted for the 1.8.. Is the 1.4 THAT much better than the 1.8? I hear it is...

I'm also saving up for a new lens.. anytime I get birthday or Christmas money, I'm putting it up in MY OWN place to add up and I'm up to around $260 now. HAHA. I have been hearing so many different things about so many lenses..I'm not sure which one to make my priority? I LOVE to shoot pictures of my son..and can't wait for him to know what "SIT STILL" means and actually do it so I can get some great pictures of him... and I like nature (I live in the sticks)..

Any advice on GREAT editing books or photography books would also be amazing. I look forward to "meeting" some of you and getting helpful advice!!!!

Welcome to the forum. There are tonnes of great books out there. If you have editting software, I know that Scott Kelby does a photoshop elements 8 book that has great instructions. Scott Kelby even has 3 or 4 little books on photography tips etc. All of Bryan Petersons books are great especially understanding exposure. Michael Freeman has the Photographers Eye which is a great book as well. I too have a D90 and the kit lens and the 50mm. While Im not sure if our photography interests are the same I am getting a macro lens next with flash. The Sigma 105mm since the Nikon equivalent is $400 more. Good luck and look forward to seeing some pics.

Welcome.

I would recommend that you buy a zoom telephoto lens for your next one.

This will open you up to more types of shots than you can currently take.

I waited far too long to get one, and had 3 wide/standard lenses before I did. Don't do what I did.

Get something that is 200mm to 300mm on the long end. Which one exactly depends on your budget.

Yes the 1.4 is better than the 1.8. It is also over 2x the price though.

I am new to the forum and photography as well. I decided a good intro cam for me was the d5000 kit with the 55-200mm lens. I am currently trying to decide which lens I want to get next also. Based on what kind of pictures I want to take I am going to go with a macro. That was the easy part... Now I'm not sure if I want to get a tamron 90mm or price jump to the nikon 105mm. Honestly for me I think the tamron is more than enough but I don't want to be disappointed over a couple hundred more...

I am new to the forum and photography as well. I decided a good intro cam for me was the d5000 kit with the 55-200mm lens. I am currently trying to decide which lens I want to get next also. Based on what kind of pictures I want to take I am going to go with a macro. That was the easy part... Now I'm not sure if I want to get a tamron 90mm or price jump to the nikon 105mm. Honestly for me I think the tamron is more than enough but I don't want to be disappointed over a couple hundred more...

Get the 60mm macro.

It functions as a general purpose lens as well. It is also extreemly sharp, which is uncommon for a non-L lens.

I got my eye on the 100mm 2.8 IS macro at the moment, but I am broke now and need to stop buying lenses lol.

From other Macro enthusiasts on the forum I have been told that the 60mm falls short because of working distance. NateS can chime in here anytime but for bugs etc you need the extra space to not scare them off. I would think 90mm being the base point for bugs. Just what i have gathered from the macro-people here. Now if you never plan on shooting bugs just ignore me. :sexywink:

From other Macro enthusiasts on the forum I have been told that the 60mm falls short because of working distance. NateS can chime in here anytime but for bugs etc you need the extra space to not scare them off. I would think 90mm being the base point for bugs. Just what i have gathered from the macro-people here. Now if you never plan on shooting bugs just ignore me. :sexywink:

Ya I agree with this.

I just think the 60 macro is good because its so sharp for the money.

The lens I got my eye on right now is the 100mm 2.8 IS macro. The extra working distance would be nice.

The 180mm is another option, but its so damn big and expensive. It has no IS, which would be nice too.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back