Hi, I'm terrible.

Discussion in 'Welcomes and Introductions' started by Aran, Oct 29, 2012.

1. Aran

Aran TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Okay maybe not me precisely, but my ability to take photos is atrocious. I bought a Rebel XTi in 2007, puttered about with it for a year or two taking mediocre photos, then a pin came out with my CF card and it sat in its bag for a few years because I didn't have the money/care to get it fixed.

Well, it just came back from a camera repair shop today, so I figure now that I spent the money on it (... well, my grandma spent the money on it for an early Christmas present because I've been lazy about getting a photo of my fiancee and I for her and always blaming my dead camera so she told me to get it fixed and get her photos of us, hah.)

At any rate, I'm going to play sponge and absorb as much info as I can now. So hi.

2. sm4him

sm4him TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Hi, Terrible, I'm Sharon. :lmao:

Welcome to TPF!

Here's how it works--you can read the threads, absorb some information, find some books to read and tutorials to watch. Then you go shoot some pictures, you come back and you post a few you think are pretty darn decent here. We come in and rip them to shreds, leaving you with nothing but about a half-ounce of dignity still intact, and THEN you choose your option:
    --You decide you really DO like photography and you WANT to improve, so you start the LONG process of learning and applying what you learn. If you choose this option, and listen to some of the talented, sarcastic, smart-@ss*s on here, in six months to a year, you'll notice a marked improvement in your photos.
    --You decide we're all a bunch of narcissistic, hateful yahoos and you go away, sure that you can do this without us. This option will find the camera back in the closet within the next 6 months while you explore the benefits of Instagram instead.

:lmao: Just kidding. Kinda. :D
    Photography--as with MOST hobbies--is NOT for everyone. I hope you get into it and find that you enjoy it and want to really improve; this forum really can help you if you do decide that. But getting GOOD at photography really does take effort and dedication to the hobby, and not everyone cares that much. This is one of the many reasons that iPhones are so wildly popular. :D

Oh--if you DO decide to take up photography as a hobby and you begin to really get into it--say goodbye to any spare money you've ever had, because photography will suck your bank account dry and still demand more. :lol:

• Like Like x 4
  3. mishele

mishele Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Welcome to the jungle, baby!!!

4. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Welcome aboard.

5. unpopular

unpopular Been spending a lot of time on here!

hi terrible, i'm unpopular. don't be too hard on yourself, i've been taking photos for 15 years and I still suck.

My best advice is to convince yourself that your brilliant and that anyone who disagrees is a simple-minded yokle with no appreciation for art.

That's what I do.

6. Aran

Aran TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Yes, I've noticed... [​IMG]

Fortunately my other hobbies - shooting, cars, computers, video games, Lego - aren't that financially dema... oh. Yeah, I'm fine with spending money on things I enjoy. :D

7. unpopular

It's not my fault people are so darn stupid. (have to maintain this delusion)

8. RHagemanPhotography

RHagemanPhotography TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Hi Aran!! Welcome to TPF!! I've found so far that folks here are very nice and eager to answer questions. What a sweet grandma you have!! When is your wedding date?

9. JAC526

JAC526 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Its cool man I'm terrible too.

10. Mully

Mully TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    It is good to be hard on yourself...that is how you improve.... People will help you and that is how you improve.

11. unpopular

^^ exactly, otherwise fifteen years later you'll still suck.

12. Aran

Aran TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit

Yeah, my grandma rules.

As for wedding.... hah. No idea. We've been engaged for about... six and a half years now? Together for over eight. We'll get there eventually.