hiding the 'click' when it might get you in trouble

Until it was stolen I took many illicit pictures with my Minox ML. As near silent as it was possible to be, and very high quality lens & shutter. I always kept high speed film in it, and took lots of very low light pictures in places like Egyptian tombs, art galleries, police stations, etc. After I had closed the camera (it had a flip front) and put it back in my pocket I could wind the film on slowly and silently whenever the opportunity presented, so it would be ready for the next shot. Often I'd carry a "normal" camera from a strap round my neck, so once the authorities had registered that they weren't looking for another.

A digital P&S can be equally quiet, but can't match the performance of the Minox with high speed film. Must get myself another one. With a digital camera you must remember to turn off not just all noises but also the LCD display, as that's a dead giveaway in the sorts of places I have in mind.

I've never even tried the live view, but the 40D is one of the quietest DSLRs/SLRs I've ever used.

Agreed. I was pleasantly surprised when I heard how quiet it was compared to my 350D.

I think a big wet fart followed by a splash would be funnier....

Most reactions

Back