HIE for Nikon cameras

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by clarinetJWD, Feb 15, 2006.

1. clarinetJWD

clarinetJWD The Naked Spammer Staff Member

I'm looking at a few nikon bodies, but want to be sure that I get one that is safe for Kodak HIE film. The one I'm leaning towards the most is the N80, but it seems to have mixed responses about it's usefulness for IR.

The bodies I am considering are:
    N80
    N8008
    N90
    F4
    among others that I can't recall right now.

What I want to know is which ones are safe with HIE film, and after that, what the best camera is. Thanks guys, I know you'll come through for me :)

2. terri

terri Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Hi Joe! :) Really, the main thing that can cause trouble for you is having a camera that uses an infrared frame counter. These cameras have an IR beam that is counting the sprocket holes and can potentially fog the sensitive HIE.

Let that be THE main thing you keep in mind as you look over these cameras. I'm not familiar with Nikon or Canon (I'm on the Pentax team) ;) but I'm sure a quick check on these bodies will tell you what you need to know.

There is also a school of thought that the only fogging these IR beams will cause will remain along the sprocket holes and not creep into the frame; I've yet to prove that theory with my Pentax MZ-S, and continue to shoot HIE with my old ME.

Good luck!

3. clarinetJWD

clarinetJWD The Naked Spammer Staff Member

That's what I've been reading, but I have completely mixed accounts about my favorite of those cameras, the N80. It does have an IR frame counter, but some claim to use it successfully with HIE, and others claim fogging. Quite frankly, by now I know the people around here quite well, and trust their opinions more than the things I read elsewhere. Thanks a ton, terri!