High-end lenses on a Rebel?

eterrisinCYQX

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm gonna pick up a Rebel XSi sometime soon, my first digital SLR. My question is, when I'm ready to move up to top-end lenses, will the Rebel really fall short, or will it do alright?

It will do fine, I've seen really good pictures from people who have used an XTi and an "L" class lens.

Yes, you can use any Canon EF or EF-S lens on that camera.

That's part of the beauty of an SLR system, you can interchange lenses and bodies.

I know it can interchange, my question was more whether the Rebel would drag a good lens down.

No, the Rebels will certainly be able to produce great results...especially with great lenses. If anything, the smaller, lighter body of the rebel may feel out of place when coupled with a big heavy lens...but the quality will be just fine.

If you start getting bigger/nicer glass i suggest you look for a battery grip also. It will make the camera handle nicer and you will have a better grip. They just over make it feel better with big lenses

I have (had) an xti and rented an L lens...I hope to someday buy an L. Great photos. feels funny at first with a huge lens. i would MUCH rather buy an xti (or xsi) and a kick butt lens then an average lens and a kick butt body

If you start getting bigger/nicer glass i suggest you look for a battery grip also. It will make the camera handle nicer and you will have a better grip. They just over make it feel better with big lenses

I agree! I have the XTi and am getting a grip soon. Its a bit small and hard to hold onto at times, especially sideways. Its a great camera, tho!

I agree! I have the XTi and am getting a grip soon. Its a bit small and hard to hold onto at times, especially sideways. Its a great camera, tho!

I bought one for my d40x. I didnt have the money for the one with the extra shutter realese. So basicly i get the benefits of a bigger battery, and a bigger camera. I just feel safer being able to keep my whole hand on the camera.

Photozone.de do sharpness tests on canon lenses using a Rebel. Only some of the top fancy L series lenses hit the top of the graphs.

To me this is the Right way to progress instead of running right out and buying a higher-end body with cheap glass.

You know. I'm going to use my Drebel this weekend instead of my 30d. I'm going to shoot on Sunday. I think I'll be using my 70-200 f/2.8L IS on it as well. Then you'll see some good shots.

To me this is the Right way to progress instead of running right out and buying a higher-end body with cheap glass.

And I just started a thread on this on the POTN forums. Should we reccoming entry level cameras to photo noobs that are serious about the hobby when there's other cameras that will preform just as well, have better features, and can be found for cheaper out there?

Personally, I'd reccomend a 30D to some one wanting to seriously get into photography over an XSI. Even a 40D won't be that much more than a new XSI. And I'm sure 90% of Canon users would agree that the XXD series are better cameras than the rebel line.

It's not like three years ago where you couldn't touch a pro-sumer camera for less than $800 for even used gear. Now you can pick up 10D's for $250+ used.

Just an observation.

Perfect idea !But if you can afford it look at the 40D also less mp's but a far better camera in the long run and with good glass its incredible but the xsi is a great starter body btw

Most reactions

Back