high f number or low iso?

Prioritize low ISO yes, but don't miss the shot. You can do something with a noisy, yet sharp, image. You can't do anything except delete a blurry pic.

Oh definitely, but I thought the original question was about using a certain ISO in order to shoot at f/8 for maximum sharpness rather than using high ISO to avoid blurring. My point was that with good fast glass stopping down to f/8 isn't that necessary; you could shoot wider... which would also help avoid missing/blurring the shot :)

Isn't it also true that noise reduction software will soften a pic? I'd assume the higher quality means less softening but that seems like a bit of a catch 22.

I'll check out Neat Image though... thanks for the recommendation.

Neat image preserves sharpness while finding the noise "pattern" and removing it. Sharpness is really just edge contrast, and there are things you can do with USM to enhance that in photoshop as well. The other alternatives are to add more noise, or convert to black and white and leave the noise as is. I'd much rather deal with any of those alternatives than have a shot I desperately wanted, to be blurry.

while the 5d is very capable of clean noisefree images at high ISO, I would think that you should also factor in DOF. If you dont care about the DOF, the smaller aperture may verywell lead to cleaner and sharper images. Or you could always comprimise and shoot say ISO 400 or 800 with a smaller aperture.

Most reactions

Back