High ISO performance

McQueen278

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
How does a MkI or MkII Canon EOS 1Ds stack up in high ISO performance compared to cameras like the MkIII, 40D and 5D? I understand this will most likely be a subjective answer as I have had a hard time finding any scientific data on this subject, but I trust in the opinions of the TPFers who have experience in this matter! I only ask because I am considering a refurbished MkI or II EOS 1Ds as my next camera. I really want full frame for my wedding photography and it seems that a 5D and a refurb MkII are in a similar price range.

If anyone can break down High ISO (800 specifically) performance in order of best to worse on these cameras, I would be eternally grateful!

EOS 1Ds MkI, II & III
EOS 5D
EOS 40D (for comparison as I am very used to this camera)

I really want full frame for my wedding photography and it seems that a 5D and a refurb MkII are in a similar price range.

If you mean the full frame 1Ds MkII, that camera is not close in price (used/refurb) to that of a 5D. The 1dsMkII runs between $3500 and $4500 USD Used.

Just stick with the 5D as it is a known good camera with excellent ISO performance. Reasons to go to the 1DsMkII is the build, metering, and AF performance of a 1series. That and the extra megapixels for cropping.

Most reactions

Back