High ISO

kafoto2

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Is shooting at a High ISO a good or bad thing?...tell me all you know!!

What are the consequences?

Shooting at high noise will lower the picture quality by introducing unwanted noise.

I've never heard of random gaussian noise referred to as film like nor pleasing, and imo definitely orders of magnitude worse on the "sweet picture" scale than adding grain in photoshop or actually shooting film. :er:

kafoto increasing ISO reduces quality but increases the chance you don't screw up the shot. The lowest ISO possible is the name of the game.

Is shooting at a High ISO a good or bad thing?...tell me all you know!!

What are the consequences?

Depends on the camera. I can shoot 6400 ISO and get very usable photos with my camera, but trying to shoot at 1600 ISO with something like a D70 won't be very flattering.

And it's not good or bad that I'd be asking about, but rather or not it's necessary. Some times with you can't adjust the light by raising the ambient or using some alternative light source or even a tripod, using high ISO is the only way of getting the photo.

I played with ISO Friday night with my D90 set at HI1.

Very noisy.

2v0y7fq.jpg

w9a6g4.jpg

I went to a birthday party at a restaurant last night. All I had was my T1i and f/1.4. I jacked up the ISO to 1600 and 3200 and did super high noise reduction. I think they werent bad. I wish I had a my flash though.

In camera noise reduction, and post process de-noising of an image kills detail and sharpness.

In some situations using high ISO is your only option, but is usually only used as a court-of-last-resort choice.

High-iso is bad, but sometimes the alternative (slow shutter speed) is worse. It's all a compromise. A noisy shot is typically more usable then a blurry one.

I played with ISO Friday night with my D90 set at HI1.

Very noisy.

2v0y7fq.jpg

w9a6g4.jpg
It looks like you applied pretty heavy noise reduction as he looks like a wax figure. What did it look like before the noise reduction?

Shooting at high ISO can be a good experience if you have a camera that can do it, the lighting conditions are right and you nail your exposure.

This is a shot with a 1D4 taken a couple of weeks ago at the Lincoln Park Zoo in Chicago. The primate area is in total darkness (indoor) with some really bad lighting on the primates which are behind some thick smudged glass.

1016189944_3Jqd8-X2.jpg

This was shot at f/2.8 using a 70-200mm IS lens and ISO 8000. The D3s can do even better.

intempus- great example, is that SOOC?

lightroom 3 has great Noise reduction, and with a careful combination of added (masked) sharpness and noise reduction, noisy images can be very usable

I was referring to a high iso, correctly exposed shot, where noise looks more like grain, at least on the D300 I used at 1600iso, there was no moire or any of that dappled pixelated stuff, normally I use flash at low iso but on this occasion the vicar barred flash. I'd post an example but its archived and this box was formatted since the shoot. H

This was shot at f/2.8 using a 70-200mm IS lens and ISO 8000. The D3s can do even better.

Whats this!!!!!! can it be...... The infamous Intempus a known Canon advocate making claims the opposition is better!!!! What shall we doooooooooooo....

Im sorry I had to......

:)

Cheers mate!

intempus- great example, is that SOOC?

lightroom 3 has great Noise reduction, and with a careful combination of added (masked) sharpness and noise reduction, noisy images can be very usable

I agree - nice example of the correct way.

My example did not have PP noise reduction. Just color and contrast. I have never let the ISO go that high and was interested in what it would look like.

I need to learn more on how to set up for the exposure...

Most reactions

Back